Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: fuel passages
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:33 pm 

I think we are talking racing and if so there is no emission law on them..So your saying you have emission laws for racing???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 am 

No we dont have emission laws for racing. What Im saying is if you work in emissions you learn lots that can be applied to racing. Emissions is all about efficient combustion at around stoich. Emissions is all about homogenization and vaporization. Racing is all about efficient combustion on the rich side. You make the adaptions and then you get better at racing. I was just wondering what your road laws are for modified cars.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 am 

This help Bruce....
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_ca.php

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 am 

Thats handy stuff but what Im more interested in is say you get pulled over by the cops, do they make you take your hotted up car for an emission test? They do here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am 

Emission laws vary by state here in the US. In Missouri there are no emission tests or requirements that I know of for any cars or trucks, but all emission related components have to be in place on the car to pass the safety inspection done every other year. Some states (California) have annual emission tests.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 am 

shrinker wrote:
Thats handy stuff but what Im more interested in is say you get pulled over by the cops, do they make you take your hotted up car for an emission test? They do here.

Not that I am aware of...I have "Classic" plates on my 70 Mustang and the registration is good for 2 years and to renew is no charge..No inspection but there is some rules as you can't drive it to work but that's not an issue for me and there is no mileage restriction.. Over all good for me but I did get pulled over once by a state trooper but he did check my paper work but he really wanted to look at my car and he stops at my house if he see's me out side and visits the local race track when he's working on Saturday and says Hi....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Virginia laws are pretty much the same as what Rick says about Missouri. Emissions equipment cannot be modified from "factory" condition but it's done here all the time and little to nothing is said or done about it especially if you know the guy that does the inspection.

My 1983 Chevy truck doesn't have the electronic Qjet carb any more nor does it have the stocker intake but the State Inspection guys never say anything about that. It does have the cat converter though and a single exhaust but I run headers on it with 2.5" lines from the collector to a Flowmaster "Y" pipe that is 3" out and the rest of the system, including the cat is 3" all the way out back so it's legal.

Cars that are "pre-emissions" year models don't have to comply with anything emissions related as it's all about what was put on the car the actual year it was built.

I've never heard of the "sniffer" being used in this area but I have read where they were planning to use it up in Northern VA around Washington, DC.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:13 am 

We used to have an annual emission testing in Kentucky but it was dropped several years ago after it was discovered that it was mostly a racket. That test included a tailpipe "sniffer" test and visual inspection for tampering/removal of emission devices. If you failed you were given a certain amount of time to correct the problems and if you didn't get it to pass they wouldn't allow you to renew your plates for that vehicle. I never heard of anyone getting pulled for emission stuff and I don't think that ever happens in the states. Vehicle repair shops and car lots have been fined over tampering with emission controls. I have heard that in California individuals have been prosecuted for tampering but I don't think any other states take it to that level although federal law allows for it.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 pm 

Florida dropped their vehicle inspections a long time ago, and do nothing at all now.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 pm 

Wow thats interesting. thanks guys for the replys.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems