Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm 

Ever since I have had this Dominator it has been very sensitive to float settings, If i just barely try and raise it , the damn thing just floods right over and out the vents! I tired again today on the primary cause I was reading that I should have my top emulsion covered in fuel to get proper Metering etc, well with it just barely over the bottom of the big sight glass I am not sure its covering that emulsion feed up top on my BLP 5124 Block in front, the back I have halfway up the sight glass, I would like to be able to run just a tad more in front then I am ,but everytime i try to adjust it just floods right over, I put a new oring on the deedle today nothing, its anew float too. What the hell is going on? My 850 was never this way i could set that float wherever i wanted and it would never spew out those vents!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 pm 

You got some problems there for sure. I usually make a line on the out side of the metering block then set the fuel level
to that line with it running..If you set a 3/8 drill bit between the fuel bowel and the float with the bowel upside down and then adjust the level till it just touches the float you should be very close to your mark..

You said in another post that you had to trim the float so the jet extensions won't hang up on it..The floats are sealed agter there notched so if you break that seal there going to get heavy..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm 

Beretta wrote:
You got some problems there for sure. I usually make a line on the out side of the metering block then set the fuel level
to that line with it running..If you set a 3/8 drill bit between the fuel bowel and the float with the bowel upside down and then adjust the level till it just touches the float you should be very close to your mark..

You said in another post that you had to trim the float so the jet extensions won't hang up on it..The floats are sealed agter there notched so if you break that seal there going to get heavy..

Yea I did trim that float , but just recently before that If i would touch the settings all the sudden it would just over flow, That is why I have just left them alone ,but the more reading i am doing i am thinking this is hurting me some, And possibly why i need such big of a TSJ to compensate for a low float setting and getting my cruise where i want it even tho it goes against what i have read about TSJ settings on a dom. The back one seems to be holding fine not leaking down etc. its that damn front one that i have always had issues with, even a new float too.So If I am understanding right then u want that fuel level over that first emulsion correct? So whats going on with this stupid set up ,lol. new needles too.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:34 pm 

Put a brass float in the front, eliminate the nitrophyl. Also most of the newer floats are closed cell, but not all, I replace any that were notched after the fact with molded notched floats.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 pm 

jmarkaudio wrote:
Put a brass float in the front, eliminate the nitrophyl. Also most of the newer floats are closed cell, but not all, I replace any that were notched after the fact with molded notched floats.

thanks mark , so the brass one is better then? also my rear one was notched from factory just had to notch it moreis all to clear those AED extensions.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:53 pm 

Brass are easy to tell if they have fuel in them. These are my favorite extensions for Holley jets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Jet-exten ... 2300290aef

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 am 

These just act like there isn't enough leverage on the arm , when u adjust the float it easily goes past the needle like it's not seating properly after the adjustment or something, just weird i had enough holley carb's and this is the first one to do this? Normally if it acts like u can't adjust it its the o-ring that is hard etc, least that is what i have seen.So the correct float seting tho is one that cover's your top emulsion for what ever block you would be using and its position in block right?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:10 am 

WHAT is that under the adjusting nut ?????? A spacer??????Never seen anything like that ever #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:18 am 

Beretta wrote:
WHAT is that under the adjusting nut ?????? A spacer??????Never seen anything like that ever #-o

Barry that is just the machined top of the bowl u are seeing.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 pm 

Well Mark that was that cats ass! \:D/ This is the first time i was able to just set the float and fill the bowls with my pump and fire it off without immediately over flowing the vents! I can see why it works it has a longer arm to put more pressure on the needle to seat it. This is also the first time the car pops right off with the push of the button instead of just rolling!!! Guessing cause float level was too low!... I set it with a 3/8 drill bit and it worked as i have always had them work in the past ! It is halfway in the sight glass now. Thanks again guys!!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 am 

Well drove the car to work today, wanted too see how it would run in the colder weather being it will be this cold sunday, and i also wanted to see what effect the float settings had on my cruise afr's etc. Well it is pretty significant. Before cruising at 3000 my afr was 14.9-15.1, now its 13.7 or so. I would guess that the mains are coming on sooner now cause of the higher float setting in front? The car felt very strong when kicked down!

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems