Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: Marking custom jets
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

I drill some of my methanol jets and the holes in those are large enough to get a dial caliper in, ie, 750 carb uses .150/.160 and the methanol Dominator is up in the .190s to well over .200.

On air bleeds and such I just use the drill set as pin gauges to see what the size is.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:49 pm 

Holley jets, I think everybody just buys them here, already marked, they're so cheap, no one makes their own.
Brass set screws for air bleeds, PVCR's, I keep a notebook of what's currently in the carb or carbs. Ones I've taken out, I keep in small plastic ziplock bags I buy at the stationery store, write the size its drilled on the bag. I sometimes write on the float bowls w/ a felt pen but those disappear after awhile.
How about engraving #'s on a piece of brass shimstock, drill a hole for one of the carb screws to go through just like some of the old Holleys I've seen. =;

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm 

I think the smallest dremel bit is part number 005. Its tiny and can engrave on a jet if you wish to.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:18 am 

Bruce (nomad) gave me a good idea on how to store the bleeds that we make out of set screws.
Plastic pill box that has days of the week on them. You have seven compartments for them and come in different sizes..Works for me \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Bruce (nomad) gave me a good idea on how to store the bleeds that we make out of set screws.
Plastic pill box that has days of the week on them. You have seven compartments for them and come in different sizes..Works for me \:D/

Might know, ie, geriatric guy and pill box so he can remember what pill to take on what day! Image Just kidding Bruce! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:56 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Beretta wrote:

Might know, ie, geriatric guy and pill box so he can remember what pill to take on what day! Image Just kidding Bruce! ;-)

Well age is determined by the number of pill bottles in one's cabinet. The more ya got the older you is.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:04 pm 

if you are drilling lots of jets and bleeds you really need to get a plug gauge kit. In the sizes we deal with small adjustments can constitute a large change.

Plus, it's easy to make one too big. Without a plug gauge how would you know? And your mistakes can become your stash of larger jets.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 pm 

In regards to pin gauges which size ranges would best suit carbs in general?

Hysteric

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 pm 

I have .013 to .060 and .061 to .250. They are Ebay minus sets. I have less than 50 clams in them. Also, you can buy some metric drill bits from McMaster Carr that can fill in gaps that occur in regular numbers jets.

Now for your original question. HSAB sizes can range from .023 to .040, IAB can range from .040 to .060, and IntIAB can range from .050 to .100. Ejets, TSJ, and PVCR, and idle restrictions can range in the same areas.

It's better to buy sets than to pick and choose IMHO.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems