Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:52 pm 

So I hooked up my Carter electric fuel pump, and to my surprise the car was reacting very well to it. I have never seen such a performance gain just from a pump. It was chirping gears so had it felt like the back end would actually hop off the ground a foot in the air before taking off again. Was working great then half way through town it started to cut out in pulses like a clogged filter. Then I notice my gas mileage was half what it was. The tank seemed to drain three or four times as fast. So I have ordered a regulator and I am going to order a fuel gauge. I hate being in the dark, I just never expected such a strong performance gain from a pump. Also when I first hooked it up my idle seemed to jump by 100, from 800 to 900. I lowered the idle and just figured my old block pump was on its way out. The new pump did not act rough or anything until later. At first it was crisp and no cut out.
Here’s my questions:
I plan on changing the filter, I ran new lines but the pump was a used pump. Could it be possible that the carburetor needles are jumping and that is what the cut out is from? How can a pump make the carburetor flush gas down the drain faster than normal? It was unbelievably fast and I did not have any leaks.
Also I am going to order a fuel gauge finally. So how do I hook it up to the cowl so I can see it as I drive? Use a Tee and a rubber fuel line. There doesn’t seem to be any good hard line options for factory steel lines with flares. I don’t want to spend the money for an electric one right now. Or should I just Tee it off and leave the gauge in the engine compartment, maybe I don’t really need to see the gauge at all times. Should I put it after the filter? Thanks for all of your wisdom, it’s not that I can’t figure things out on my own; I just need some insight before I order the gauge and fittings from Jegs. Order won’t go out till Monday anyway. I ordered a Holley regulator from O’reily today. They have the about the same prices without the shipping charges with a delivery on Sunday.

Just Primer

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:04 am 

depends on carb type and regulator type . the holley regulator can be rebuilt cheap .
a piece of trash in needle may have your float over filling .
have seen lil pumps and bad pump cause a low bowl condition and kill power at wide open .
idle change could have been from bowl being filled higher /what ever the cause .
is fuel dripping out boosters after a long idle ?
does it stall after hard run and decell ?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:40 pm 

I don't think I have trash under the needle because the idle was perfect when the cut out started. I do not have a regulator on yet. I looked up my pump and I believe it to be preset at 8, but I might be wrong. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the pressure being too high, actually holding the needles open and flushing the gas down the drain and that was the cut out. I need to check or change the filter and tighten the clamps on the small amount of rubber I do have in line. It could b sucking air. It would not cut out on a decell and it would not react with a quick launch, it would be none specific to the throttle the way a clogged filter would react. I will probably wait to run it again until I get the gauge in by U.P.S. Trouble shooting in the dark is for the birds. I love Vega's by the way. I once saw one for sale at a swap meet for 600$ without the engine and it was hard to not buy it.

Just primer

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 pm 

Let me throw this idea at you. Who ever is reading. My old block pump had a return line going all the way back to the tank. My gas cap wasn't vented ( I also do not have the original charcoal canister that would let it breath.) so I drilled a small hole in it to release the pressure created. When I installed the electric pump I plugged the return line and made a block off plate for the old location. When I went to get gas after the gas seemed to vanish so fast there was a huge rush of pressure when I opened the cap. More than normal. I just thought maybe it's because it was so low. The car ran great at first without any flaws then slowly started to act up the more I drove it. After I let it set for a few minutes at Checker it seemed to run better again. I did a smoky burnout, out of there parking lot without any cut out. Maybe the whole issue is just a huge amount of vapor lock with the pump working good but the tank becoming more and more pressurized as I go. I think I will uncap the return line and let the tank breath. I am not sure this explains the gas mileage thing or not. I believe I am defiantly going to install a gauge on the cowl. I would like to know if it ever drops at the top end of the RPM's, even if it does just become a hood ornament.

Just Primer

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems