Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:37 pm 

I'm using a Magnafuel 500 pump and want to change from my deadhead style regulator to a bypass/return style regulator at the back of a fuel log. Most of the bypass regulators are meant for mechanical pumps and apparently that style won't work with an electric pump. I bought a holley 12-841 which was supposed to be used with an electric pump and I plumbed it in at the back of the fuel log with an -8 inlet and return and I can't get the pressure down to a manageable level ( lowest was 10 lbs after adjusting the bypass located on the fuel pump as low as mechanically possible). With this fuel pump bypass at its factory setting, the pressure was so high that it pegged the gauge on the fuel log at 15 and I had fuel shooting out of the vents.

My buddy uses the system I'm trying to construct with the same fuel pump ( unaltered from the factory settings) and a Barry grant bypass regulator and it works well. Obviously the regulator isn't available anymore, so I'm looking for an alternative. Any idea's would be appreciated.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:33 pm 

Why the switch Mark??? The fuel pump will by pass fuel back to the regulator and you really don't need that much pump. I have a pro star 300 pump and run it at 14psi and holds 6 1/2 psi threw the hole run on my logger and that is with the E85 running 164 jets.. I do want to test with turning the pressure up to 20 to see if it will make any difference but there is just not enough time during testing during a race.....During testing I had 180's in there with no issue with fuel pressure. Yes way to much jet for sure...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:38 pm 

Thanks Barry. No need to switch, I've just always been one for overkill and am I'm only trying to switch because I like the idea of keeping the fuel moving and should make the pump work even less. My aeromotive regulator seems to be in need of a rebuild, so I hoped to try this approach. I didn't think it would be this difficult given my buddies setup seems to work so well.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm 

Mark did you notice how much quieter the pump ran with the pressure lower??? No need for 25/30 psi for what we are
doing....Besides it will also draw less amps..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:53 pm 

Yes, I did notice that and think it would be a nice bonus since I'm assuming it's not working as hard. This is another reason why I'd like to get this bypass setup working.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:58 pm 

Mark if I remember you have less of a motor than I have so you really can get by with less pressure....Like what I have or even less as I never tried and that 14 psi was what I was running on gas and never touched the pressure with the E85 as I never thought about it #-o ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm 

You can use the bypass reg thats fitted at the pump from the factory and place it up at the front of the car and run a return line from it back to the tank.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 pm 

My fuel pump is right next to my cell and both are between the seat and blow shield. I already have the -8 bypass built into the pump returning to the top of the fuel cell. The lowest pressure that I can get from the pump bypass seems to be 12-14 lbs. I'm trying to add a second bypass at the rear of the fuel log that would bleed the pressure down to the 6-7 lb range.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:57 pm 

Its likely that the -8 line is restricting the flow to the 12 lbs you say. With 500 pump I always use -10 or -12 for the return. You could probably pull the piston and everything out of the reg and the pressure would be 12 because the line is too small.
Anyway if you want to put a reg at the carby then just get one I dont see what the issue is. A diaphragm style bypass reg is what you need.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:22 am 

Mark,

The Pro Star 500 moves alot of fuel, I have tryed to do what you are doing. Used a Barry Grant return regulater. Had to use a -10 line. Made every thing look ugly. The set up is to use the Magna Fuel deadhead regulater with return lines from both the high and low side of the regulater. Magna Fuel makes a setup for this. Has all the lines and fittings. You will have to get a special fitting from them for the inlet side of the regulater. Easy to set up. This set up is mostly used by the guys that use NOS. Check out the Magna Fuel web site. Bob J

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 am 

I use a 500 as prescribed by the man that created it.
I have the pump bypass set at 27 PSI and a dead head style regulator set at 6.5 PSI with a very small return back to the tank on the regulated side to prevent pressure creep.

My pressure has always been rock solid for years.
Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:20 am 

Scott - how are you creating the bypass on the regulated side?

Perhaps I've been over thinking this and need to go back to the original configuration, but I was just trying to explore my options.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 am 

If you find you still need one BLP sells a bypass regulator. PM nomad here and he can save you some coin on it as well.

http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_page ... cts_id=899

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:20 am 

mslayton wrote:
Scott - how are you creating the bypass on the regulated side?

Perhaps I've been over thinking this and need to go back to the original configuration, but I was just trying to explore my options.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

A "T" in the line with a #6 returning to the tank. I stuck a Fuel Injection Jet can in line with the spring removed and a .040 pill in the can.

It's really not needed unless you have a Nitrous system.
http://www.product-engr.com/images/Prod ... 0%20PR.jpg

http://www.product-engr.com/bypass_systems.htm

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am 

Thanks Mark - I actually own that BLP regulator and unfortunately it will only work with a belt pump. Sounds like I'm just going to replace my Aeromotive regulator that's failing with a Magnafuel large 2 port and be done with it. I'll send the Aeromotive back to them for a rebuild and add it to my parts collection.

Super Comp 130C

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems