Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: 950 BG alky carb ????
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:46 pm 

Got a used Holley/BG 950 for my car. It has holes above the jets in the frt and rear and uses gas jets. The holes are .125 in size. I am wanting to start out at about a 160 or 165 jet as a base line set up. What size gas jet would I start with? I know .125 hole doesnt equal 125 jet, so where do i go? Also, it has power valves in frt and rear.....should they saty or plug them off? I need to get jet extensions, but i still have the holes above the jets to think about, so, do i need to worry about them or what? Thanks in advance. This is a small motor, its only a 302, but it has went 6.7s with a 850 before, so Hopefully I can make this thing work. If not, I may just go back to gas.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Those holes in the mainwells above the jets are a NO NO on a drag car and are mostly seen on round track type cars. Power valves in the rear are also a NO NO on drag cars!

Holley 950HP alky carbs came stock with .144 jets and a PV front and rear. My Rupert 750s (dual) run .156 to .172 MJs and no PV depending on the application and time of the year.

IMHO you're gonna need to replace those metering blocks and if you want the original ones from Holley, that part number for the blocks is HLY-34R-11862MB and they are around $160 for the pair.

Check with Nomad here and see what billet BLP blocks are as they might be an alternative to the Holley blocks.

And finally, Holley 950 carbs have had somewhat of a bad reputation from what I've read on here but I don't know if that will apply or not with methanol.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:47 pm 

well crap....thanks anyway. Not what i wanted to hear. I may just put gas back on it.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

fast92stang wrote:
well crap....thanks anyway. Not what i wanted to hear. I may just put gas back on it.

For an engine that size I don't think I'd run much over a 750 carb anyway even on methanol. 302 is kinda small and unless you're turning it 9K RPM I just don't see the need for a bigger one.

One thing that methanol will do for that engine though is it will make it pull a little harder at lower RPM due to an increase in lower RPM torque, which may make it a little quicker over all. Probably make more HP as well. ;-)

FYI, E85 will do the same thing if you have that available to you and it's probably cheaper than methanol too! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 am 

well, it never ran as fast with my 750 as my buddies 850, but thats probably because the 750 was never right. I know the carb is plenty big, but the motor was going to grow into a 4?? something soon. FWIW I have run a 750-950 on gas and it run the same, weird, I know. I am not saying a 950 is fine, I know it may loose a little on the bottom, but maybe it would hook better till the bigger motor goes in

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems