Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: T&T yesterday ....
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:45 am 

Ran my black Olds with the 1150 Ultra I set up from this site. Car ran excellent , 9.406 and a 9.410 @ a best of 140.62. Carb seemed perfect , instant re-starts hot or cold , idle was clean , came off 22-2400 foot brake launch great (best was a 1.290 60) plugs browned up very nice after two runs , I dont have a wide band. Did bring my 1050 , but felt it would not match the 1150 and never tried it. Thanks Milan

Post subject: Re: T&T yesterday ....
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 am 

Sounds good!!! Did you go up in jets to see when it will slow down??? Only way to do it even with an O2......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 am 
Site Admin

X2 what Barry said. These tuneups are usually a little on the phat side and most ultimately wind up leaning them down a bit. BUT, you really don't know unless you get it phat enough to slow it down a touch then you can back the jet down to best MPH.

Good numbers there though for a big heavy car.

So is a wideband in your future? =; You can NEVER have enough "stuff" IMHO! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 am 

I do plan on a wide band , I do know its the best way to go. The motor was dynod with the carb and was too lean (I had .029 for emulsion and #100 jets pin @ .129). Mark suggested .026 emulsion and I put in #101 mains pin @ .134.(this did make the plugs look good to me) But no , I did not jet up too slow it down. When I get the wide band I will do a bit more tuning , I will post the dyno sheets later. Thanks MIlan

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure you're aware of this, but we do not race dynos and a carb in static air there isn't likely to react the same way with turbulent air around it at down track speeds with tight hood clearance.

Most of these type problems have been associated with the vent tubes as air blowing across them can actually create pressure or vacuum conditions in the fuel bowls, which require atmospheric pressure in order to allow all the other stuff to do it's job.

One way this has been addressed is to run a good quality air filter if you have room and the larger the better. Another has been to add a tube across the vent tubes to help eliminate or minimize the effects of that turbulent air.

Of course this is one of the things a wideband will show you. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 pm 

Can I run a 02 sensor in my collector extension? And I do run a 4 inch air filter and made a vent "flute" for the carb , to stop the front bowl from pouring into the engine. I dont race dynos , but I do like the info before going to the track , especially if its lean. And for sure cant have enough "stuff" !!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah you can run that sensor there but keep in mind that the closer it is to the end, the more air it's going to suck back up and pollute the idle and part throttle readings.

I'd go in the collector itself about half way between the end and where the 4 pipes connect to it. That way, if you run collector extensions then that will help keep some of that fresh air from coming back up during cam overlap at idle and part throttle. A Diesel exhaust flapper might help this also as they would have a tendency to close if the engine is trying to pull air back up that collector.

On my dragster I had 8 bungs welded in so that I can take readings on all cylinders, but not all at once. I've got two Innovate LC-1s, one on each side of the engine and I read two cylinders at a time, ie, 4 passes and I can read all 8. You could do the same if you have room and oh, if you only get one setup, make sure you get bungs in BOTH collectors so you can switch sides to see how different the data is.

I'll post a pick of how mine were done.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a pic of those O2 bungs in my dragster headers. You may not have room to put that many on but it would be nice to have them in 3 or 4 locations about 12 to 14 inches from the head.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:22 pm 

Looks very nice , but I have zero room for that some where in the collectors will be all I can do , what wide band do you guys like best??

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Milan.. wrote:
Looks very nice , but I have zero room for that some where in the collectors will be all I can do , what wide band do you guys like best??

It kinda depends on what you want it to do and how far you might want to go with it. Daytona Sensors makes a setup that has a record feature that you can access with a laptop. Innovate also has their LC-1 that is standalone that can be used with a laptop for live recording with their Logworks software.

I've used both of these and they work OK. One thing about the Innovate LC-1 though is that you can incorporate it with either their LM-1, LM-2 or DL-32 data loggers. That LC-1 can also be had with a digital gauge that you can mount on or under your dash and has an LED readout. If you don't want record capabilities then this one is probably the cheapest route and BTW, the Innovate AFR setups are second to none. Can't say that about their loggers though as they are finicky to say the least.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

Thanks for all the info......

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems