Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: 80586 alcohol carb
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:04 pm 

Saturday is for working on your car and Sunday is for racing =; and be with family \:D/ ...
If your that busy at work maybe I should move down there #-o ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm 

Beretta wrote:
If your that busy at work maybe I should move down there #-o ...

If you don't want to go that far south you could come to Kentucky. I could use some help.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Ken0069 wrote:
57 Vette wrote:
Ken,
These are the standard window type.
Brian

Congratulations! I've talked to the best methanol carb guys in the country and been running the stuff myself since back around 1996 and you're the first guy I ever heard of that can make that combo work? I'm happy for ya and if you're that good, then maybe you should go in business selling whatever it is that you got! ;-)

UPDATE: Yesterday a friend brought to my attention that with a car as light as Brian's it doesn't take THAT much HP to run 150 MPH. After looking myself and checking HP requirements, I do believe that a well tuned methanol 1050 COULD be made to work with single needle seat bowls @ 8PSIG using an electric pump as I've seen 750 methanol 4150 carbs run successfully with electric pumps at 8psig.

So Brian does know how to tune that Dominator!! \:D/ However I wouldn't try this on my 800HP engine though. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:
57 Vette wrote:
Ken,
These are the standard window type.
Brian

Congratulations! I've talked to the best methanol carb guys in the country and been running the stuff myself since back around 1996 and you're the first guy I ever heard of that can make that combo work? I'm happy for ya and if you're that good, then maybe you should go in business selling whatever it is that you got! ;-)

ken0069 wrote:
UPDATE: Yesterday a friend brought to my attention that with a car as light as Brian's it doesn't take THAT much HP to run 150 MPH. After looking myself and checking HP requirements, I do believe that a well tuned methanol 1050 COULD be made to work with single needle seat bowls @ 8PSIG using an electric pump as I've seen 750 methanol 4150 carbs run successfully with electric pumps at 8psig.

So Brian does know how to tune that Dominator!! \:D/ However I wouldn't try this on my 800HP engine though.

Hi Ken,
Just want to up date you guys on this story. I made a mistake on the weight on my Corvette by some three hundred pounds,its weight with me in it is 2335 lbs. This last weekend out with some more tunning it went 153.00 in the 1/4 mile,thats 740 hp.
Thanks Brian

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:28 pm 

Hi Ken, been reading this thread and thinking I must've got lucky when I ran methanol with my big block as it had a 1050 methanol carb with a magnafuel 500 pump and single .150 needle and seats and it ran 8.90@ 149.40 at 3000 lbs. I Did nothing to that carb and was a 2 circuit with no P/V's. Maybe I should've kept that one. I think I still have the calibration written down somewhere in case I want to try it again. Should've known not to let something that works get away.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 am 
Site Admin

BTW fellas. I like my crow deep fried with some House of Autrey's poultry coating. ;-)

Being the skeptic that I am, I called George Rupert this morning and talked to him for about a half an hour on this Dominator/8psig thingie Brian brought up a week or so ago. Oh and Brian, he says that you're running too much fuel pressure and you need to drop that pressure down to 7psig! ;-)

Ennywho, George says that he's been building single needle seat 1050 Dominators that will run with an electric pump @ 7psig now for a few years and they work quite well. BUT, and he did stress this! Running an electric pump @ 7psig doesn't leave much margin for error so the tuneup has to be right to keep from horking up something. PCI bowls and or belt drive pumps with bypass regulators are basically "insurance" for a poorly tuned carburetor. O:) So I guess that's me! ;-)

Seems the info I had on this is somewhat outdated or "old school", which I guess is appropriate for an "old guy"! I guess I need to get out more often instead of spending all my time on here! ;-)

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems