Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Last year I bought two 9377 carbs that were damaged in a nitrous fire. They were burnt pretty bad, but salvagable with some TLC.

As some of you may remember I also have what started out as a Bill Mitchell methanol 1150 that I had trouble getting enough fuel through down track. That carb was modified with an add on metering plate and a custom located 3rd circuit was added up at the bottom of the boosters. It works and a few weeks back at a test at Piedmont it worked REAL well so it will be my primary race carb for now.

But back to that 9377, I did some extreme mods to that thing to try to eliminate the need for that 3rd circuit add on that's on my other carb. Well, I ran it on the car here at the shop a week or so ago and it's looking like it "might" be a keeper as I was @ around .68 lambda or so on the T brake up around 5k RPM. Of course it still hasn't been down the track yet but for now it's looking like it's going to do what I want.

Here's a pic of that thing as it was run on the engine last week and we will be running it Sunday at Eastside Speedway T&T if the weather holds out. Oh, and that is HOME MADE external linkage on that thing that I made here in my shop. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 am 

Ken looks like you have a allen screw holding that banjo along with some safty wire..Did you just tap the main body to hold the banjo or is there a nut on the other side??

Thinking about it now I don't think there is any room on the other side for a nut #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Barry those SS cap screws are in tapped holes in the main body. And BTW, that banjo's ID is .234 and the 12 holes in the booster are .081. The safety wire is on there for............safety! ;-)

Keep in mind too that nothing was done to that main body that can't be "undone" should I decide to do something different with that carb.

As I said, preliminary run ups on the transbrake are showing me more signal than I expected, which is a GOOD thing. Whether it will work down track or not though remains to be seen.

But this is how we find out what works and what does not, hey! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and an FYI for everyone, the leg off the booster is more of a "WOW" factor than anything else. I want to prove to myself that I can make that work and also hope that competition sees it and wonders just WTF is that? \:D/ There's no substitute for "Wow" factors and dual carbs is another of those! \:D/

BTW, we'll be testing that carb at Eastside Speedway tomorrow, weather permitting!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:17 am 

Good luck Ken and hope your weather is better than here as we are rained out!!!Again :-

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Well, the regular race got rained out again last Friday night and they waited until this morning to change the announcement on the website that the T&T was canceled and that rained out race would be held instead??? This is 3 weeks in a row that the Sunday T&T has been either canceled or changed to a regular race??? DAYUMNIT!!! [-(

So I just got done parking the trailer and draining the fuel bowls on the carb. Maybe next week. :-

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:04 pm 

Yeah we have had 3 weeks in row rained out here with no racing. I did get to run out at Bristol, TN for the WFC 3 weeks ago. I am getting itchy though.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:05 pm 

Ken a little off topic but what sensor do I need to replace for my lm-2. My O2 is showing an error E8 and not logging. Don't want to hijack.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

ajcasini wrote:
Ken a little off topic but what sensor do I need to replace for my lm-2. My O2 is showing an error E8 and not logging. Don't want to hijack.

Look here AJ and I have bought that same sensor from Orielly too and it was a few $ cheaper.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7834&p=67574&hilit=carquest#p67574

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm 

Hey Ken,
I like the home made ext linkage. If you were to measure the pivot points, sketch them up and post them up, it might help others.
Cheers Colin.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

SGDCXCVI wrote:
Hey Ken,
I like the home made ext linkage. If you were to measure the pivot points, sketch them up and post them up, it might help others.
Cheers Colin.

Mark Slayton posted a picture of his carb with the BLP linkage on it back last year so I downloaded a copy of that photo, then blew it up on my computer screen to near actual size and scaled it that way. I did have to make it twice though as the rear piece has an extra slot in it that's in the wrong place.

There's also a shaft extension TIG welded on that end to fasten that rear arm too, which was a bitch to get right BTW. Wound up drilling and tapping holes in both pieces then used a half inch long 5/16 x 18 set screw to fasten them together for welding. It warped just a little but I did a little sanding out on the end and it works OK now.

FYI, mine doesn't work as well as the BLP does because I can't get it to work at 1 to 1 ratio, which is what I wanted. What I wound up with though was "soft progressive" instead.

I've got enough material to make one more so I'll have to see if I can find that stuff. #-o

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Test and tune @ Roxboro Motorsports tonight. Air was crap, track was crap a and I only made 3 passes and left. Got major problems with my trailer but will post that in another section.

First pass had to lift just past the 330 timers running 5.26 @ 122 MPH (I think, don't have the time slip in front of me now).

Second pass went 5.10 @ 136.79.

Both those passes were with my old 1150 methanol Dominator that I've run for a few years now.

Third pass was with my NEW TO ME 1150 methanol Dominator I recently built running 5.12 @ 136.69 with tire spin the whole length of the track! [-(

Looked at data after this and was reading O2s on #1 & #3 and #1 was WAY lean with a .192 jet so we loaded up and came home! #3 was phat and needs a jet probably in the 1.80s. Gots to figure some stuff out before I try again. EGT on #6 was 1177* with the new carb and 1145* with the old one.

But to be honest, I'm surprised that NEW TO ME carb even got down the track after all the crap I've done to it! ;-)

Edit: To put correct numbers in.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 am 

$ucks when you go to test and the track is junk!!! Wasted trip and gas/fuel anyway you got some data to work with I guess... :-

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:09 am 

We learned a long time ago test and tune days are a waste of time.
If we are in test mode we test on race day during time trials and if the track will let us we continue to test between rounds and not race that day.

Or, show up for test and tune and make your hits within the first hour because after that the street tires will ruin the track.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Admin

There wasn't but a handful of cars there, ie, only 6 I believe so there wasn't enough cars to get the track working like normal. The starting line was "decent" but after that it was crap. That area was threatened with rain so I guess ppl stayed home. That and they have a "Freaky Friday" block party scheduled for tomorrow night so some may not have had the extra money to go twice in the same week.

Yeah I guess I need to call up at Eastside Speedway to see if they will let me pay the entry fee for a race and make time only passes at the end of each round. Good thing I had AFRs to look at, hey cuz the time slip is basically worthless after 60ft.

Ennywho, with the trailer horked up I guess I'm done until I can find a deal on an axle. $250 wouldn't be too bad if I could find one at that price. Will know more once I make a phone call or two and send out a few Emails.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems