Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
Posts: 139
nomad wrote:
74 firebird461 wrote:
So Do you put the boosters in the banjo's first then install banjos in carb? Probably going to try this after this race.Anything special to do to the booster's etc when installing them?



I use one of those "General" tools brand automatic center punches you find at Lowe's. The body is made of aluminum or brass. The punch end goes into the stake pin and centers the punch in the stake pin. It also keeps the punch body from jumping out of the stake pin. The body of the punch is rounded and fits the flare of the stake pin perfectly so no damage occurs while tapping the pin in place.


So something like this? I don't have a lowe's by me, a menards tho .

http://www.lowes.com/pd_186380-56005-70 ... Id=1053205

_________________
74 Firebird 3580 lbs
10.56 @126.67 1.49 60 ft Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 pm
Posts: 5852
Location: N.J.
Remember also to put some red lock tight on the pin that goes into the banjo..

_________________
Image
running E85
Best ET 8.07
Best MPH 170.71
Barry


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
Posts: 139
Beretta wrote:
Remember also to put some red lock tight on the pin that goes into the banjo..



They aren't tight enough without it? When I sand the banjo , is it just the side that the stake tube goes in that needs to be sanded down on each side to fit in my older dom? I also install the booster in the banjo first correct, then install banjo into carb bore? I see they have this at harbour freight. will it work ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loa ... h-621.html

_________________
74 Firebird 3580 lbs
10.56 @126.67 1.49 60 ft Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 pm
Posts: 5852
Location: N.J.
You will need to "file" down the sides, (not the face that the pin goes in) of the banjo on the pin side..

I lock tight them but if you don't think there is a need to then don't.....

_________________
Image
running E85
Best ET 8.07
Best MPH 170.71
Barry


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
Posts: 139
Beretta wrote:
You will need to "file" down the sides, (not the face that the pin goes in) of the banjo on the pin side..

I lock tight them but if you don't think there is a need to then don't.....



Barry
That is what I meant sorry, just the side that the pin is on not the other thinner side. Sorry should have been more clear, thanks!

_________________
74 Firebird 3580 lbs
10.56 @126.67 1.49 60 ft Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 438
Location: Auburndale, Florida
74 firebird461 wrote:
nomad wrote:
74 firebird461 wrote:
So Do you put the boosters in the banjo's first then install banjos in carb? Probably going to try this after this race.Anything special to do to the booster's etc when installing them?



I use one of those "General" tools brand automatic center punches you find at Lowe's. The body is made of aluminum or brass. The punch end goes into the stake pin and centers the punch in the stake pin. It also keeps the punch body from jumping out of the stake pin. The body of the punch is rounded and fits the flare of the stake pin perfectly so no damage occurs while tapping the pin in place.


So something like this? I don't have a lowe's by me, a menards tho .

http://www.lowes.com/pd_186380-56005-70 ... Id=1053205


That one doesn't have the rounded end like the one that I have. It needs to be a "General" brand. They're available all over.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 438
Location: Auburndale, Florida
This is a pic of my booster stake pin puller.

Image

Ignore my sloppy welding job. The screw is a 10-32 thread. I tap the stake pin and pull it out with the puller. It takes surprisingly little effort considering how hard they are to pry out.

My initial reason for threading was so the pin may be re-used in an emergency. The threads aren't deep but, I no longer think that is a good idea. The threads my upset the flow. Maybe a self tapping screw may ne a better idea.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: