Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Drop back two?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:40 pm 

I noticed on one of my old posts that someone said that when I find the spot where the jet pops rich I should drop back two numbers. I never did. I am one number back on each side. Is this just a preference or should I correct it? I know it will run more crisp a little lean, but my last engine had detonation problems after 9 years. I think I was running lean, but my timing might have been the issue. Would rather not find out if I am too lean for the street, but one number is not much. Might run a tad more crisp. It does start up cold the way it should.

Just primer

Post subject: Re: Drop back two?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

One number is sort of getting to a point of splitting hairs. If you're you're looking for everything you can get then you'd be stagger jetting and running zip ties balancing put plug reads. Of course I don't know anyone personally that is that good at plug reading but with tuning aids it's possible to do the one number thingie.

FYI, I did the stagger jetting thingie with my engine back a couple of years ago and never saw any performance advantage by doing that as it ran just as good with the jet square as it did staggered.

If it's running like you want, then don't hork with it! The only thing you're going to loose is a little fuel mileage, which shouldn't be an issue with a car like that anyway;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems