Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: 1150 Dominator Throttle?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hey guys, my 1150 methanol Dominator (the old one) has a problem with the secondaries not wanting to completely shut when I back off the throttle?? I've got this one turned around so that there is NO progressive linkage deal and it's 1:1 ratio when it opens. Problem is that the secondary side wants to hang and I wind up having to put a second return spring on just to make is shut completely. The 1050 Gas carb doesn't do this so I'm wondering if something is worn causing this. I've checked the throttle shaft for excessive play but alas, none was found?

Any suggestions? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:11 pm 

Im guessing you flipped it over and checked the linkage underneath..I have seen them get fairly rusty under there..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm 

Barry - I think this is the carb with the custome external lingage Ken built.

Is one of the throttle blades catching slightly? I'd try lossening and retightening them, or taking some 1000 grit to the edges to make sure there aren't any burrs.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

This is NOT the one that I made the linkage for. That one will wind up on there some time this fall but not now.

And get this, it only hangs when the engine is running, NOT when it's off so engine vacuum is causing something to move around a bit preventing it from shutting? :-k

But yeah Mark, I was thinking of trying to reseat the butterflies to see if that will help any.

Barry, I keep the underside of that one sprayed down with WD40 to help keep the rust down. And I am thinking about going ahead and making the external linkage for that one also as I have the pieces I need to do that.

Oh, and after having problems with the Pro Stage on the first two passes this evening the car ran 5.033, 5.033 and 5.029 after I got it adjusted correctly. O:) One gallon of fuel addded between the last two runs would have made that 5.029 into another 5.03 and this was with temps at 90*, yeah, it was a hot mamma jamma all right as phat boi went through 4 bottles of water in 3 hours!

AFRs need some "tweaking" but otherwise a good time was had by all, and, the truck, trailer and car arrived back home in one piece yet again. \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:16 am 

Figure out what is up with that throttle blade and looks like your both (you and the digger) ready
to go some rounds \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 am 

Last time I had this problem the butterflies had slight flat spots worn on the sides allowing the shaft to move slightly side to side and hang.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
Last time I had this problem the butterflies had slight flat spots worn on the sides allowing the shaft to move slightly side to side and hang.

Yeah Scott, I was thinking something like that also and BTW, it's been doing this every since I got it and wasn't a problem on the door car but it's just that having to run dual return springs with this 14ft throttle cable makes it hard to operate. It works OK like that but would be much better if I could do away with that second return spring.

Suppose to be 106* here today so I may just leave the car in the trailer until later tonight. It's pretty cool here in the shop right now but if I go opening that 16ft door then the heat will be inside then.

Thanks guys and I'll let you know if/when I get this resolved.

Barry, yeah the car was deadly last night but with the Pro Stage not working right early on my reaction times weren't that good. In fact, they were awful as I was changing the box setting starting with the 3rd pass and that got me out in left field. Reaction times are something that I'm either on or off and no in between and I'm off more than on!

If temps had of been mid 90s today I'd have planned a trip to Eastside but alas, 106* temp is no mans land when you're almost 67 IMHO and tomorrow doesn't look to be much better so I'll stay home and wait for better weather.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Just entered the first run in CCP and DA yesterday on the first pass was 4130ft?? And it ran 137+ MPH all evening. O:)

Oh, and BTW, it's 3:15 here now and the temp is only 104* so it doesn't look like it's going to make it to 106* today! :- [-(

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:23 pm 

So then work on it!!! =;
It's cool here only 93* O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
So then work on it!!! =;
It's cool here only 93* O:)

Right at 5pm and it's 104.4? Only positive note is that humidity is down to 35%. But then again, THAT is what creates conditions for forest fires? :-k

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: OOPS, miscalculation on that DA last night. That should be 2997 ft instead of 4130. Wrong numbers in for barometric pressure! [-(

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems