Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: vacuum pump
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:14 pm 

Maybe you guys running alcohol injection can give me a little help on this one. After a couple years pondering on going to alcohol injection I just found out last weekend that I may require using a vacuum pump. I was told it would help keep the engine oil from milking and keep the dreadful moisture out of the engine. I was also told the engine would run much smoother. I am running a 358 cu.in Chevy small block,14.5-1 compression,680 lift cam,Brodix track 1 heads,Ron's 1050 Terminator,crank driven mechanical fuel pump in a 2650 lb. car.
Hopefully this info will be helpful and wondering your thoughts on running a vacuum pump.
Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Post subject: Re: vacuum pump
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

GOOD LUCK! ;-)

A vacuum pump will help but it's not going to stop the condensate from forming in the valve covers. If you get it lean enough to stop that, then you're going to have a stumble at the hit. It's the nature of the beast with FI. A leanout valve in the intake will help some if you don't already have one.

You also need to be careful not to have too much vacuum as you can suck the oil away from pistons and wrist pins if you go too high. They also make special oil seals for use with vacuum pumps as well although I'm not sure they are "required".

That BBC I had with the Enderle Hat was bad enough that I pulled the valve covers after each race and left them off until it dried out. That and NEVER start a methanol engine unless you got fuel and time enough to heat cycle it.

On my engine now with methanol I only have an Evac system and at the end of the day I get'r good and hot then I disconnect those hoses at the valve cover to allow moisture an escape path. Yup, even methanol carbs do generate "some" condensate in the valve covers.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 pm 

Thanks Ken,I run the evac setup and also have the primer plate for initial start up and to the staging lanes and back to the trailer. I didn't want to get a vacuum if I didn't need one so that makes me feel a little better. I have been banging my head against the wall getting this alcohol system on and am still hesitant but running with race gas I can't get any consistency. When I came on this site forum there were alot of guys that swore by alcohol over race gas for consistency and that's what I'm looking for. I'm not having any fun anymore when I get eliminated first round because the car won't run a consistent number.
Thanks again for your help,Paul

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Paul, having a consistent car, whether it's on gas or methanol can sometimes seem to be a myth. Right now Beretta's car on gas is printing xerox copies but he's got some driver issues to settle now. :- Being consistent is a relative term IMHO and what you really need to learn is how to predict when it's going to speed up or slow down, ie, there's normally a pattern to this unless you have mechanical issues.

While methanol is somewhat LESS susceptible to atmospheric changes, mainly due to the fact that the fuel carries it's own oxygen molecule, it still will vary some over the course of a race, especially from evening to night when humidity goes up a bunch.

Ennywho, hope you get your stuff working and can go some rounds. Being first looser isn't fun for anyone! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 pm 

Ken,I totally agree with your statement and hope I can go rounds but for some reason the 60 foots are the same each run but the car either slows a couple tenths or gains a couple tenths on the big end. Pretty tough to go rounds that way. Yesterday it ran a 10.94 first time trial pass so I dial a 10.87 first round and it runs a 10.83. My opponent red lit so I got the win. Next I dial a 10.83 and the car ran 10.76 so I break out again for the loss but the 60 foots were the same each pass. Frustrated? Oh ya,but that's racing lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:33 am 

Paul you will be able to control condensation with your primer or leaning out with fuel shut off.
With my carb I run a -8 hose from carb spacer back to a ball valve in my cabin, when I open valve
engine gains another 1000rpm and warms up real quick.
I ran for years without a vac pump then last year picked up one from the local junk yard out of a toyota crown for $20, pulley and belt about another $50 first meeting it pulled 15in. bit high so I installed a moroso vac bleed.
Adding m2 upper cylinder lube seems to reduce condensation on my engine.
Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:15 am 

Paul if your short times are the same then where is the issue of gaining or loosing et?? 60 to 330 or try to narrow it down to where your shifting...May be a trans issue lagging on the shift...

I can't believe how constant my car is. I made 4 runs Saturday and my short times were 1.175 to 1.177 and et varied only 1 hundredth and that was because my trans was at 180 as I forgot to turn on the fan on :- .. Do you have a temp gauge for your trans??
Here's a couple time slips from a T&T and a few on race day..Driver was not hitting the lite very good ](*,) and all this is with a garage built 1150 on gas with the help from members here with the tune and our mentor Tuner... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm 

Barry,nice consistent passes from your car. I wish I had almost mirror time slips like that. I think I will pull the carb off and go through it again. I remember last year I had a similar problem and found an issue inside the carb so maybe the gremlin has returned. I will keep you all posted and try again this coming weekend and see if I can go more rounds than just two.
This is why I like this site because you guys are really helpful with advice instead of knocking people down like other sites.
Thanks a bunch fellas.
Paul

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 am 

Hey my car is spot on but driver is not lately :- ...3 weeks in a row only made 2nd round and went home ](*,) .Keep on finding a new way to loose and it's really pissing me off but that's racing they tell me..
you will get it just need to look at everything it will come around.. Good luck and do post what you
find it anything.... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:20 am 

Hey Barry,

=; =; =; =; =; :-$ [-(

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 am 

Looks like you need to adjust this too. =; =;

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:44 am 

Scott Smith wrote:
Looks like you need to adjust this too. =; =;

LOL.......I have one of those and have it hooked up in my car so I use that TB button. We are racing to the 1000' and I keep on miss judging the finish line and gave it away twice :- ...Car is on and should just run it out..
I will get is sooner and hope better than later ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:58 pm 

You dialed 8.30 and never went any faster than 8.314.
That's leaving a wheat field on the table for someone to get inside of. [-(

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

Yea I know but that was last year and the air was getting better but it never picked up any...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems