Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: What does it tell you
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:53 pm 

If the car picks .05 in the 1/8 by running 25 degree cooler, does that suggest anything about the tune of the motor other than it likes the cool air. When i double enter, I leave the staging lanes at 150 because its alot easier to cool it to 150 vs 125 when its 100+ degrees out. Accident left the fan on and it cool to 125 and picked up what I feel is alot.

What do you all think?

thanks

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 pm 

Bill a cold engine makes power because the air is denser. Warm oil is good, it reduces friction. Pro Stock uses coolers to lower the engine temp to at least 70 degrees or colder. The flip side is how it affects the distribution of fuel in the engine. If you get too cold or the vacuum is too low due to a carb that's too large the fuel doesn't vaporize as well. If the manifold does a less than adequate job of distributing the fuel under those conditions you have to make it richer overall to get some power back, but never as much as you lost. The better the manifold distributes fuel, the lower you can run the temps. Or you can run a larger carb. Run a fuel that vaporizes better, and both apply. So many variables that cloud all of this, why engines that seem similar don't necessarily run the same.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 pm 

I'm like you Bill. I like to be 140 at the line. It'll run better cooler but, with the temps we have here in the summer it's better to keep coolant temps at a managable level to better maintain consistancy.

While we're speaking of temps, Bill, are you logging air temps going into the carb? If so where is the sensor located, what kind is it, and what are the calibration parameters for it?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm 

I have an sensor that I got from Greg Kelly. It is an egt type sensor. The first sensor he sent me wouldn't react so he sent me one that is unshielded. I had stuck it in my air filter. I haven't used it for a while. I original was using it to test the effects of my air pan. I was amazed to find without the air pan I was seeing temps of 350+ degree going into the engine. Installing the air pan I was seeing within 20-30 degrees of ambient air temperature.

I need to put it back in there. I insulted the air pan a while back. I was also going to use the vacuum port on my spacer and stick it in there to see what the air temp in the manifold is.

Thanks Jmark, I kinda figured as much. just noticed and wonder if I could learn anything from it.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm 

Thanks Bill.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems