Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: data help
 Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 pm 

This is a 9375 OS 3 circuit on race gas. I have a 2 circuit to try, but I wanted to see how far off I am. Parts look bad to me and parts not so bad. Tell me what you see cause this is my first rodeo with a logger. My questions are:
Staged at 3,000 and the afr is low 10's, is that the intermediate?
The R's go up a little right at the 1-2 shift, is that tire spin?
Shouldn't the voltage be higher?
Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: data help
 Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Admin

@ 3k you're likely still pulling pretty hard on the intermediate and the mains are just starting to flow too. This is a typical issue with the 3 circuit carbs. You can try opening up the intermediate air bleed in about .005 steps to see if that works any better. A lot of the 3 circuit carbs are lean up top though because of the idle tubes in the mainwells??

Looks like it's going WAY lean up through 1st and second then goes pig rich again part way through high gear? I've seen some horked up fuel curves but this one is a real mess! Do you have jet extensions on the secondary jets??

Yup, you're seeing tire spin. Looks like it was spinning at the hit then not so much through 2nd gear. The wavy line up in high gear is kinda funky? Was it missing? :-k

What logger is this?

Voltage? Are you running an alternator? If not then this will be typical. My logger shows me over 14 volts down track with an alternator.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 am 

This is a Racepak logger.
I was going to pull the intermediate bleed altogether.
It wasn't missing.
Jet extension are in.
I do run an alternator, but I have a small gauge wire from it to the main switch. I just bought some 6ga to install this week.

Is my goal to get it between 12 and 14 everywhere during the run?

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:13 am 
Site Admin

The alternator I run is a 70 amp from a Phord Probe or Mazda I think. I have a 10 ga wire from the alternator to the battery side of the disconnect switch located at the battery up in the front of the car. That wire is about 10 ft long.

My setup is probably different than yours though as I have a belt drive fuel pump, not electric and during a run I always turn the cooling fan on the radiator off.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 pm 

I have the fuel pump, water pump and fan on for every run.

Should the AF line be pretty flat and be between 12 and 14?

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ron Gusack wrote:
I have the fuel pump, water pump and fan on for every run.

Should the AF line be pretty flat and be between 12 and 14?

With a gas setup you should find best performance with AFRs in the mid to upper 12 range up through mid way in high gear. Then the "ideal" AFR should trail off lean up to around 13.2 at the stripe. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with ANYTHING much over 13.4 ESPECIALLY in high gear.

So you can see from these numbers that you've got a long way to go to get there. ;-)

Are we having fun yet? =;

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:05 pm 

This is a better run. The car hooked better and I stayed in it. The other run, the driver whomped it a couple times. I have one other wrench to throw in....The carb isn't opening all the way to keep from running under the index.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 pm 

Ron as soon as can figure out how to post a log I will post one of mine to show you what it sort of
supposed to look like...It's not perfect but getting there and is running so constant it's scarey..Now if the nut behind the wheel can start driving better maybe we can go more than a couple rounds =; ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Gee thanks! You never mentioned the "whompped" stuff in that original post and THAT does make a BIG difference!!

It's going phat at the hit then leans out some so what's the emulsion package?? And I'll make a W. A. G. here and say that you've got either 3 or 4 emulsion holes open and they're probably .028 each!! [-(

Pardon my "French", but you need to either s**t can this POS carb or convert it to 2 circuit so you can tune the freaking thing!!!

Sorry, just no other way to put it. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:59 pm 

Yeah, I'm sorry Ken. I knew you'd be thrilled when I posted the better run. I didn't mean to post that first one. When I looked at the R's near the end, I knew I had the wrong one. I'm going the 2 circuit route, but I wanted my first experience with the logger to be with a carb that I knew would get me down the track. There's a test and tune Wednesday that I might be able to get to. As for the emulsion set up, I'm not really sure. It has HP blocks on it even though it's an OS 9375.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Just an FYI on that last graph.

1. You need LESS emulsion to slow the mains coming in at the hit, along with eliminating that intermediate circuit that "may" be contributing to that.

2. You need a LARGER MAB than what is in it now to get the top end to trail off lean mid way through high gear.

Don't know what's in it now but as I said, you'd be better off with a 2 circuit carb that you can tune to get you closer to "flat line" on the AFRs. And BTW, once you get the fuel curve where it needs to be, you're also likely to see a performance gain.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:44 pm 

Beretta wrote:
Ron as soon as can figure out how to post a log I will post one of mine to show you what it sort of
supposed to look like...It's not perfect but getting there and is running so constant it's scarey..Now if the nut behind the wheel can start driving better maybe we can go more than a couple rounds =; ..

Barry, Do a "Print Screen" and email it to me if you get a chance.
rgusac at gmail.com

Thanks
Ron

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 pm 

Barry if you want to just email the logfile to me I can do the screenshot and post it for you. I know you can do that because you've done it before.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:42 am 

Thanks but you can teach an old dog new tricks \:D/ ..Thanks for the "Plain English" in explaining to to do it Ken =; ...See I can follow instructions \:D/ \:D/
Here you go Ron this is probability one of the best runs I have to show you as far as O2.log.
I know it's not perfect but did run good......That run was a 8.16 at 170.. =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:11 am 

Here's all the data...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems