Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:04 am 

With my 23* head, 408 CI SBC tell me about running an adapter/spacer on a 4150 flange intake. Is there some sacrifice of performance?

Is changing to a 4500 flange intake a better setup? At this time I have a Super Victor, port matched with slight clean up internally. I see that Edelbrock now offers an new design Super Victor ll with 4500 flange. I also see that Dart has a 4500 flange intake.

What is the best combination?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Not sure this is relative for your 23* engine but my Dart 18* heads have a Dart single 4 intake with a 4150 flange. I had considered cutting that flange off and making a 4500 flange but Curtis Boggs told me that the funnel adapter would do better than my idea of changing the flange.

Having said that, last year I cut the crap out of the inside of that funnel adapter in the area where it meets the manifold flange. When I got done there was only about a quarter inch of the original 4150 flange left and that intake ran damn near as good on a single Dominator as it did with a sheetmetal intake with dual 750s. Now I did open up the ports all the way to the head flange too so not all the performance gain was from opening up the plenum area of that 4150 flange.

I got this idea from another member who had posted some pictures of some plenum porting he had done on a 23* intake that netted him some significant performance gains. Here's a link to that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8375

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 am 

I don't know about the "new" 4500 Super Victor II you mention, but the original 4500 flange SV has larger runners. If the manifold will get minimal porting then I think the 4500 flange would be a better choice but I think the 4150 SV can be ground to work with a funnel adapter to be better.

Rick

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:05 pm 

I ran the 4150 super victor with the 4500 to 4150 adaptor blendedat the bottom abit. IMO run what you have and use the adaptor.

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm 

I just did this exact same adapter to my supervictor with my 2 circuit converted 1050 and ran a full tenth better than the 950 4150 carb! I could take more out of the flange where the adapter meets the manifold to clean it up even more but it worked pretty darn good as is. My combo is probably a bit milder than yours so you should gain even more.
Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Keith

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems