Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Continued from the thread "Testing Tomorrow" in the "General" section.

Well Barry, if/when I ever put the single Dominator back on this engine I'm going to try to mount it sideways too. Not sure or convinced that sideways mounting is wrong at this point.

All 4 passes were with the O2 sensors in #1 & #2 so next time out I'll change them to #7 & #8 to see what's going on with those. I've got a spare O2 sensor and LC-1 that I may stick on it just to see if there is a problem with that equipment.

On the scoop down track stuff? It starts going richer on the left side @ the hit and the rest of the way down track. At lower speeds early in the run one "might" think that the scoop would be less of an issue. :-k

Dunno....................I think I've got a set of 84 jets for these carbs and I could rob the PV plugs out of a couple of other carbs here to test with. I guess the first thing to do though is make sure that the O2/LC-1 are working correctly.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Just got done entering those runs in CCP and looks like DA is the reason it was slower as there was 1000 ft more DA Thursday than what we had last fall.

I pulled the plugs and looked at them but don't see anything THAT much different between them all? #1, which has the left side O2 sensor in it does show a little more dark color higher up from the fuel ring than some of the others so I'm going to pull the bowl off that front carb and check the jet to make sure they're the right size. Will also check the MAB to make sure that is open.

Question, have any of you ever sand blasted a plug and tried to use them again to read the fuel ring? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

webermaniac wrote:
Well, I did, but not to read the ring, just to peel the soot off after a not too precise tune ](*,)

Did they work OK after the blast? :-k

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:19 pm 

They can't have any sand left on them or it can cause a problem. I think the old plug blasters used in the old days used something other than sand as an abrasive. Something about the sand melting at combustion chamber temps. You need to do a little research before trying it.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48 am 

Plugs are cheep compared to an engine overhaul.... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Just a little update on the spark plug cleaning thingie. I blasted those plugs that were in my engine, gapped them and put them back in then proceeded to go to Eastside Seedway last night and ran 4.98 off the trailer on GAS. O:) And I'm pretty sure the DA is going to suck as the barometer last night was down to 29.79 and stayed there the whole evening. I'll know more on that once I enter those runs in CCP.

So in a word, yeah, blasted plugs work fine. ;-)

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems