Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Sunoco 93 Octane
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 pm 

I've got an E85 checker.It only goes to 70% ethanol. So today I continued the graduations all the way down to a 5, 10, and 15% marking. I followed the directions and measured the 93 octane out of my fuel bowl.

This all sounds a little imprecise I know but, what I have measures 5% + or- ethanol.

Post subject: Re: Sunoco 93 Octane
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

nomad wrote:
I've got an E85 checker.It only goes to 70% ethanol. So today I continued the graduations all the way down to a 5, 10, and 15% marking. I followed the directions and measured the 93 octane out of my fuel bowl.

This all sounds a little imprecise I know but, what I have measures 5% + or- ethanol.

So is this gas suppose to be 5%? Most all of it around here is 10%. :-k Or at least that's what's on the pump.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:41 pm 

Hey I have one of them so I could check it around here... :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:53 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
nomad wrote:

So is this gas suppose to be 5%? Most all of it around here is 10%. :-k Or at least that's what's on the pump.

Here in sunny Florida the pumps say "May contain up to 10% Ethanol". I guess in this case it was 5%. As I only use one brand and I usually get it at the same station. Looks like I will be spot testing from now on. As I'm always fussing with carbs I'll have lots of opportunities.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 am 

Pump gas blending doesn't need to be very precise so it usually isn't . Ethanol content can be up to 10% but doesn't have to be . The most consistent brands are Shell 93 and Chevron 93. Union 76 is also very good if you can find it .

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am 

Mike Croley wrote:
Pump gas blending doesn't need to be very precise so it usually isn't . Ethanol content can be up to 10% but doesn't have to be . The most consistent brands are Shell 93 and Chevron 93. Union 76 is also very good if you can find it .

Wow, you can get a performance engine to run on Shell pump gas? Around here Shell gas is crap or at least it used to be. I don't have any technical data on it but a couple of street cars I had just under 10:1 CR pinged like crazy on it. I even had customers coming in with daily driver bone stock factory cars that had problems with it.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 am 

I can't speak to individual areas or individual stations , but those three companies are top of the line where quality and consistency are concerned .

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
street cars I had just under 10:1 CR pinged like crazy on it.
All gasolines including race gas have very close to identical energy values per weight. Its said as per weight because thats what we measure mixture as, Air to fuel by weight etc. the only difference with race fuels is they have higher octane thus they can stand higher temperatures before detonating. Thus they can be compressed more and higher compression means more power. Race fuels mainly gain power because they can be compressed more. Only a little bit of there gain comes from other factors. If yor going to run a race engine on regular street fuel you have to have good heat transfer design, thats done by atomization control of the fuel. The finer the fuel is atomized the more its able to withdraw heat from the compression process, thus the compression final temperature is reduced and thus the compression ratio can be increased before detonation. Thats how its done.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 am 

I've run BP, Shell, and Sunoco. Of the three it's my perception that Sunoco seems to run just a little bit better.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems