Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: WB O2
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:15 pm 

Looking for opinions on WB O2's. I see lots of troubles with the LM2. I need something that will play back a run with rpm and af ratio. I think I want one that doesn't require a laptop to view the run graph. You can probably tell, but I don't know anything about these. I called Kelly a few years ago and told him to explain it like I was in 1st grade, but he didn't. I was as confused after talking to him as I was before. Maybe I should have said kindergarten. What do I need to get the carb dialed in? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: WB O2
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm 

I have a LM 1 that works well and used it to tune a street car...You can read the 02 on the screen and it will record but your going to need a lap-top to view a run..
I don't know of one that does not need a lap-top.... You can PM Chuck here aka gearhead as he is a dealer for Computech.. =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Time to bring yourself to the "real world" there Ron. You can keep looking for the "easy way out" but ANYTHING you put your hands on that will give you usable info will likely come from a computer or years of dyno tuning and plug reading.

Like it or not, it's the wave of the future and you can either go with the flow and learn what you need to know about it through computers or sit on the sidelies watching others move ahead. Sorry, but just no other way to put it! ;-)

But the good news is that there's lots of info here to help everyone from beginners to the seasoned veteran. All you gots to do is ask! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Time to bring yourself to the "real world" there Ron. You can keep looking for the "easy way out" but ANYTHING you put your hands on that will give you usable info will likely come from a computer or years of dyno tuning and plug reading.

Like it or not, it's the wave of the future and you can either go with the flow and learn what you need to know about it through computers or sit on the sidelies watching others move ahead. Sorry, but just no other way to put it! ;-)

But the good news is that there's lots of info here to help everyone from beginners to the seasoned veteran. All you gots to do is ask! ;-)

I'm not looking for the easy way out. I read a post somewhere about a system that would replay the run with or without a laptop. Is there no such system?

I can be a beginner and I am asking. Tell me what I need to accurately tune a carburetor. From what I've read, the LM2 stuff has problems and the customer service sounds weak. So, steer me straight.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:06 am 

I bought one of these FAST units ... http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=FS&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=170401&Category_Code=Gas

They advertise that it plays back w/o a computer and it does ... sort of, it plays a recorded O2 signal back at normal speed from start to finish w/o being able to pause, slow-mo or tell a relative time. To record rpm also you MUST use a laptop and another rpm module with it. I plan to use the analog output for my data logger when I want O2 numbers on track.

I also read the bad reviews of the LM2 and that steered me toward the FAST unit. For data logger use only the LC1 would probably be my choice.

Rick

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:15 am 
Site Admin

Sorry Ron, didn't mean to rattle your cage. I'm a little blunt some times but don't mean anything by it. It's difficult to put emotion on a computer page.

I see you mentioned "Kelley", was that Greg Kelley at Motorsports Innovations up in Jersey? Greg is a good source for Innovate stuff and his customer service is second to none IMHO. I got my Innovate logger (DL-32, etc) from him and he's helped me a bunch with setup of sensors, etc. The DL-32 systems with LC-1s seem to work well when they work but can be a PITA at times if you're not careful and I'd only recommend one of those to someone that is somewhat "tech" savvy.

I'm with ya on the LM-2 as I've heard that they have been problematic. The LM-1 seem to give less trouble.

There are several PPL on here with Innovate stuff and shrinker is pretty knowledgeable about it's setup and operation as well. He spends some time on the Innovate forums helping there too.

There is another system out there that I used for a while back about 5 years ago that is made by Daytona Sensors. The one I used was a WEGO II setup that gave me O2 and RPM graphs but required a computer to see data. It worked well and was fairly easy to use. That one belongs to a friend who is a member on here but I don't think he's ever used it and I'm not sure how it would do over the long haul.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:18 am 

I also have a FAST and it does data log & play back on the head & also the PC.

Plus I have the RPM sensor kit...works well.

But like Ken once your colse with the wideband I turn to reading the plugs.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:03 am 

I have a FAST O2, frankly I wish I had bought the Innovate instead. The LM2 can be purchased that records O2's and engine RPM, it also has the ability to add a converter box and add driveshaft RPM making it a cheap data recorder. It will record multiple runs to an SD card unlike the FAST that holds only one. And the majority of issues with the Innovate system is in the wiring, poor grounds or poor connections. My FAST worked OK at first, however after adding the RPM converter and updating the software the system took a dump, I couldn't get anything to work right. I got tired of messing with it and bought a Racepak.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:46 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Sorry Ron, didn't mean to rattle your cage. I'm a little blunt some times but don't mean anything by it. It's difficult to put emotion on a computer page.

No problems here Ken. I figured you didn't really understand what I was saying and I know didn't understand what you were saying.

I think the LM1 is no longer made, right?
I know a guy that has the DL-32 and LC1 and seems to like it. I have to call Greg again.
The Wego gets pretty could reviews. I had forgotten about them, thanks Ken.
The Altronics stuff sounds interesting, but I haven't seen many racer evaluations of it. Fred Bartoli, on DRR, says their stuff is made for racing and will work better than the rest of the units that are made primarily for the street. Anybody have experience with these?
I can't justify a Racepak. What's the entry level Racepak go for?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm 

http://www.computech.com/datamaxx-data- ... -p-35.html

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 pm 

The computech loggers use a Daytona sensors interface. I haven't used the stand-alone Daytona but the one for the data logger works well.
http://computech.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4
The first two on that page are for data loggers and the next two are stand-alone. If you want to PM me and can get you more details and prices.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems