Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Belt Driven pump set up
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:26 am 

Hello All,

I am getting everything together to install a belt driven fuel pump on my car and I have a couple questions. The plan is to run a #10 line from the tank in the rear to the pump. #8 line from the pump to a fuel log which has a apd regulator on it. Then a #10 line back to the tank.

I bought a used apd pump and it had a 28 tooth pulley on it. I have a 16 tooth mandrel pulley that i had lying around. Everything I read is that most of these pumps are set up with a 2-1. Am I going to have a problem running an overdrive.

Plan to run gas in the winter, and alky in the summer. Do I need to make any changes to anything other then the fuel and carb?(IE fuel pressure, pulley ratio)

Anyone know a typical local source to get the belts?

Anyone running a filter on the suction side of the pump, i got a #10 peterson filter that I would like to run but worried it may cause to much restriction.

Any tips otherwise, lessons learned with the fuel cell being in the rear?

Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:02 am 

I would run the filter before the pump as you said. I don't think it will restrict it enough to matter.
I am not sure on the pulley sizes. I would think it would be ok you would just have to bypass more fuel to the tank and keep the fuel pressure in check.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:27 am 

Fourten,
I have been running the same mandrel setup that you are talking about with no issues for about a year now,i also have a rear mount cell,and a 100 micron s.s. mesh filter on the suction line which is -12,out of the pump is -10 to the fuel log and -10 return to the cell.....this is an alcohol setup.
One thing i believe is a must is to have the pump inlet be lower than the fuel cell outlet so the pump is always gravity fed

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 am 

Thanks, I measured to the bottom of the fuel tank and its is about 23 inches, then to the bottom of the fuel pump inlet, it is 12 inches, so the fuel will be running down hill to the pump.

Can't wait to try this think on alky =;

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 am 

I found my belts online,dont buy them from aeromotive as they wanted $50 for a belt and i bought 2 online that were Gates belts for like $22.
I used to switch between gas and alcohol all the time so you will have no issues with that...
good luck!

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems