Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: New Holley N&S Design
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm 

The first video link is a 1200+ HP engine at BLP, using a single carb and .150 N&S with 5.7 psi fuel pressure. The second is a new design N&S with 2.9 psi...

The design was made by BLP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PehQUKwQX8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJKcvTKQAg

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm 

More info =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 pm 

^^^^^^^x2 So, looks like the new design and fuel psi at 2.9 is the new hot ticket!!!!!

What's the flow difference in amount of fuel used between the two N&S's?????

Is there a way to slow down the foaming of the fuel on entry???

That is some neat stuff jmark, I sure miss testing in a lab, but then again, I don't miss the bs about it.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm 

What I can say at the moment it is larger, and has some other mods to go with it. I will say the AFR went significantly rich when the change was made. It's a prototype setup at the moment, so nothing available yet.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 pm 

jmarkaudio wrote:
the AFR went significantly rich when the change was made
The AFR will do that. Ive experienced the same thing when fixing foaming. Had to go from 92 jets back to 78's.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 am 

Mark is it there bottom feed NS?? Oh and what is that hose that looks like it goes in the bottom of the bowel??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 am 

The hose is an illusion, fuel entry is in the normal position. What Mike posted on ST is that they made both a bottom feed and window version with similar results. And what this does is improve the consistency of fuel the carb can meter. Think about what happens when you get sometimes aerated, sometimes liquid fuel entering the jets. The more consistent you make fuel delivery, the leaner overall you can make it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Kinda looks like Mike will be able to answer these questions himself! \:D/ ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm 

Ok then Mike we are waiting =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm 

Despite not being there when we dyno-tested; Mark's answer is accurate. (To be fair; he did see the data after we were finished.) I'd be happy to post a copy of the dyno-sheet; if I knew how!

Copy/pasted from ST:

Related to the poor camera angle: "Not a bottom inlet on the bowl - it's an optical illusion showing the back of the fuel log/fuel line connection due to the angled position of the camera. Fuel inlet is in the stock Holley location.

We made prototypes of both bottom feed and window style n/s for this project. I believe this video is the bottom-feed style. I can tell you that there was little visual difference when vidoe'd (on the dyno) between the 2 types and no performance/flow difference. In the past; on-track testing has shown the normal-size bottom feeds to produce slightly less foaming than the window style. We will be on-track testing these prototypes in about a week.

Our goal(s) with this set-up include keeping the fuel jets covered with non-aerated fuel, better controlling e-jet performance, etc. w/o upsetting booster flow, fuel/air passage metering and so on. G-forces (in multiple directions) influences this as well so we have to keep it all in mind. This larger n/s assembly allows us to lower fuel pressure to reduce frothing - while gaining flow (volume) in order to supply consumption."

Normally r&d like this is a little boring, tedious and often fails. This project has been fun and challenging from the beginning. I hope it works out on the car like it does on the dyno. It's like I asked Mark: If someone called you 2 months ago & said they were making 1250 hp with a single 4-bbl carb n/a at 2.9 psi fuel pressure - what would you have thought? The scary part is - I believe we could run as little as 2.5 and maybe even 2 psi safely. I just didn't have the raisins to try it. (I am also a little worried how hood scoop pressure might affect the fuel pressure on the back-half.)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:15 pm 

Mike I have an idea,

Manufacturer a windowed bowl so the average joe racer could put his Go Pro camera under the hood and do some testing with fuel pressure. =D> \:D/ :-$ ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
Mike I have an idea,

Manufacturer a windowed bowl so the average joe racer could put his Go Pro camera under the hood and do some testing with fuel pressure. =D> \:D/ :-$ ;-)

There ya go!! Are we becoming a "test" forum or what!!!???? \:D/

FYI, I run a somewhat "homemade" methanol 1150 Dominator with PCI bowls. I've got 4 each .150 needle seats that flow more than enough fuel @ less than 7psig fuel pressure (measured on a data logger)! With Mike's new stuff, I can see where one "might" be able to run methanol (fuel volume wise) with a single .150 or .180 needle seat. If we could get past the metering block and banjo restrictions then we might be good to go!!! ;-)

Gauwd how I do love some of this "high tech" stuff!! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:02 pm 

Scott: On-car video of the fuel bowl is weird. I don't see how the car even runs with all the chaos going on in there. We have video of a 1/8 mile pass with our car - I'll see if I can locate it and get Mark to post it.

Ken: Are you happy with your bowl arrangement? Have you tried less fp? Any signs of aeration? It looks like our system flows a little over 25% more than yours with 1 n/s per bowl; which allows for the low fp. We're working on a new booster-banjo and should be testing it within 30 days. I don't foresee an issue with the m-blocks.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, I've done some really "unconventional" things with an 1150 that you might not believe, but then again, you might.

Some background for you though, I spent a BUNCH of money with two "reputable" Pro carburetor builders trying to get enough fuel through that 1150 and got zip for results, ie, $600 spent and it never got any better. I finally came up with something that pretty much resolved the fuel flow issues with that carburetor. In other words, I made it work but it's not something that I would consider to be marketable to the general public!

So not to be one to sit on what I term as "success" pre se, I embarked on a new project last year and I'm now at this point (see pic) with some new mods to both the banjos and some Holley alky metering blocks. All I need to do now is get a new scoop tray made to fit a single dominator for my dragster and I'll be able to see whether it works or not. Oh, and notice the "home made" external linkage I have on this home built project! =; I took a photo and scaled it with a 6" rule to get the dimensions I needed. Thanks Mark Slayton! ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:39 am 

Ken: The carb (and linkage) look good. Are you able to vary the progression with the linkage? "Unconventional" is relative - you should see some of the stuff that we come up with! What problems are you having?

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems