Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 pm 

For a street/strip 351C based combo. I did a search but didn't find any info on the 450 Holleys. The dual 750 Dominator tunnel ram combo that I had planned is currently "on the shelf" for awhile. I was thinking I'd be better off running a set of 450's that I have on the shelf for the time being. I bought the 450's last Spring from a local that had purchased them new from Jegs a couple years ago. He installed them but never really drove his car other than in the driveway.

I figured they'd need gone thru with new gaskets and I have a set of 50cc pumps to put on the front pumps. Any other mods to factor in? I'm planning on mounting them sideways with a Hilborn street scoop.

For linkage I was thinking an Enderle or AED tunnel ram kit.
Thanks for any info/help!

Tater
Here's a pic of the carbs/ 302 intake.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 pm 

Tater, These blocks work well and allows you to change jets..Check them out
http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/mete ... v-kit.html

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:14 pm 

Thanks Beretta,
I was thinking something along the lines of that jetable secondary plate would would be needed/helpful.

I've never messed with a set of 450 carb's though with no secondary pump shot.
Stuipid ? time.....when mounted sideways are the stock floats ok or do they have to be changed for another model float? I know the 4150/4500 series carbs benefit from using a circle track type float.

Bear with me....Newbie questions. First time messing with a tunnel ram type set-up.

Tater

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, I ran a pair of 1850 600cfm vacuum secondary carbs on a Weiand tunnel ram on my 434 SBC pump gas engine Studebaker when I first started driving it. I had them setup inline with progressive linkage and only used the rear carb's front 2 barrels for around town. Worked very well on the street but left a lot to be desired from a racing point of view as that car only ran 11.20s in the quarter on that setup and the original camshaft for that 434 CID pump gas build.

IMHO the 450s really don't need the 50cc pumps! If you tune the vacuum secondaries with the diaphragm spring kit that Holley has you can get them to open at a faster rate but where they won't bog and it'll run better also.

My engine with a cam change and two 750s was right at a second quicker a couple of years later.

Oh, and I've used that Enderle tunnel ram linkage on a few engines, including the one I'm running now and it always worked well. Last setup I bought came off of fleabay if memory serves.as that car only ran 11.20s in the quarter on that setup and the original camshaft for that 434 CID pump gas build.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:36 pm 

Ken, ty for chiming in.
The 450's don't have a vacuum type secondary. But I know what your saying with using the secondary vacuum pod spring kit. I "thought" the 50cc pumps on the primaries would be a good addition to help with the "cover-up" to the tranistion spot with the large plenum of the intake.
Just trying to maybe figure out what might work and what won't before I go putting parts together. FWIW, it should be only a low to mid 10 sec NA street/strip Foxbody in the end.

Tater

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hummm, never fooled with any 450s so I didn't know they were mechanical without a pump?? :-k I do think I'd still try them without the 50cc pumps though just to see how they work. Since you already know about the vacuum spring kit I'm going to assume that you know about the different pump cams also. There's a lot of tuning that can be done with those as well.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 am 

I had a friend that ran the 450s on a 383 SBC that was running mid low 11's. The 450s and tunnel ram picked his car up about a tenth. I have no idea what was on it before but it was a single plane with single carb.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems