Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:35 pm 

Is it practical to replace the seal between the motor and rotor? If so, where can I find a replacement. The Holley kits do not include this seal.

It looks like the E10 pump gas ruined the seal. [-( I really hate this E10! [-( [-( [-(

Of course I already ruined the housing now so I'll need a new one anyway. :-

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Barry Grant pumps use to be bad about seals crapping out. Rick360, Beretta, gdmii and a few others have had multiple problems with them over the years. Just the nature of the beast I guess. I've never seen that much posted about Holley pump seals though?? :-k Which Holley pump is it? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:03 pm 

It's a Holley blue. It's on my street car - car I used to race. It's hard for me to believe the pump is junk when that seal fails.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

I've got one of those blue pumps on my Studebaker that's over 20 years old now. It wasn't run all that time but I did buy it back around 1991 or so and used it quite a bit. In fact, it's on that car now and I have run E10 in it for street use. I've also got a red pump too that's the same age as the blue one and it was for the NO2 only. That one didn't get used much at all as I've only filled that bottle twice since 91.

Those pumps may have a mechanical seal in'em being the reason that seal isn't available. That would explain them lasting so long. Maybe someone else here has more info. Just wait a day or so to see if something turns up.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am 

I've got it apart already. It has a thin teflon "washer" and simply a rubber lip seal. Frankly, neither of them look like they would seal very good but apparently they work.

This pump was originally installed in '96 and was in excellent condition but used when I got it. So much for "brand B's" claims that these pumps have to be rebuilt yearly! LOL!

I guess I got my $75 worth out of it. That's less than $5 per year so I can't complain.

I'm not planning on racing this car anymore so I might just go back to a stock pump. Cheaper and quieter.

Gotta love the typo in my subject line! LOL!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Admin

I'd pull that seal out and see if you can find something to replace it. Barry Grant did the "no seal sell" years ago on their pumps that had to be fixed almost yearly then someone found the seal and started selling them for cheap, which really screwed BG. If it was me, I'd look to see just because some asshole sold a pump and now won't supply repair parts to the consumer. But then again, that's just me! ;-)

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems