Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Another 9377
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:20 am 

Looks like I could get my hands on another 1150 non hp,and was thinking about doing a 3 circuit O:) with the BLP blocks with the separate main well for that 3 circuit..Crazy thought but thought it would be interesting to see the difference in how they react...Nickerson carbs said that a properly set up 3 circuit would be faster than a 2 circuit...Any thoughts guys???? =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: Another 9377
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Didn't Mark use a 2 circuit 1050 in the SBC shoot out? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Didn't Mark use a 2 circuit 1050 in the SBC shoot out? :-k

Yep!!!! ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 am 

Here is the info on the winning tuneup. The jets are large, the VP113 we ran is an oxygenated fuel and requires a larger jet.

The boosters are BLP 5105 16 hole boosters with the fuel channel on the OD widened on a lathe to allow more fuel. Banjos were stock with the exit hole rounded. Metering blocks were BLP, they were 4 emulsion hole blocks a prior customer no longer used. Metering came fixed, all passages were drilled and threaded for removable bleeds and idle jets. The angle channel passage was opened to .155, booster pins at .160. The bleeds used are from top to bottom: kill in the angle channel .028, .018, blank, .022, .024. Looking at the AFR's I might have gained a tad more plugging the bottom e-bleed. Idle jet is .037 and is threaded where it gets fuel from the mainwell at the bottom not the top, IAB .067, no power valves. Main air bleed was originally .031, the change I made to pick up power was going to .026. Jets were .127, but remember the oxygenated fuel we used needs more jet. Standard racing gas would be roughly .010-.015 lower. T-slot jets are .063, .128 N&S with standard nitrophyl floats, notched in back with long BLP jets.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 am 

Ok but?????????
Yes and my 1250 made more power on the dyno also but the 1150 ran better
ET and MPH than the 1250 on the track ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 pm 

Your 1250 made more power where? Peak HP is not a good indicator of what it will respond to on track. Look at peak torque and below, if you have more torque 300-500 RPM below peak torque it should gain on track. The biggest issue with making a large carb work it getting even mixture distribution to all cylinders. Having 8 O2's is an eye opening experience, it will show you just how important an intake manifold can be. When an engine that should does not respond to a larger carb it will likely be that the intake does not do as good of a job of distributing the fuel evenly with the air coming in. A smaller carb creates more vacuum, vaporization in the intake is increases in the intake and fuel is distributed more evenly. This is also why some intakes perform better than others, some do a better job of mixture distribution than others. This allows the overall tuneup to be leaner, and make more power out of each cylinder. Also one reason two carbs make more power, two carbs do a better job of mixture distribution and can be tuned more precisely for each cylinder to have the optimum amount of fuel.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:55 pm 

jmarkaudio wrote:
Your 1250 made more power where? Peak HP is not a good indicator of what it will respond to on track. Look at peak torque and below, if you have more torque 300-500 RPM below peak torque it should gain on track.

What??? Did you mean 300-500rpm below peak HP? Below (or even AT) peak torque RPM should have no effect on track. The engine should never be at peak Torque rpm when WOT or you have really missed the converter.

What it does at stall speed is probably more important than any other rpm.

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:20 pm 

No, I meant torque. No you won't usually run the engine there, but if it picks up at and just below peak torque average HP will likely improve as well and you can be sure it will transmit into better times as long as the chassis will handle it . A lot of guys don't run enough stall, they will benefit even more if the torque is improved. You can see better peak HP on a dyno and not always improve on the track or even kill it in some cases. I guess I should have worded a little better.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems