Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: More E85 Q's...
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:58 am 

Ok, so I have been reading about this 2 circuit conversion and I have a question when converting to us E85 fuel.

Just a bit of info first, I see on the QFT site(just one site I went to for pricing and some info) that they sell a conversion kit and there metering blocks and info say (, (2) Billet 3-circuit metering blocks w/4 stage emulsion and adjustable restrictions). Sooooo, does the conversion from a 3 circuit to a 2 circuit still have to be done to have a 2 circuit carb? I would think so, but that is why I am asking, or could another set of metering blocks already designed as a 2 circuit be found and baught?, and wouldn't the blocks need to be re-done again as far as the small hole sizes?

I can see now where you guys have been going with the 3 circuit vs. the 2 circuit, and want to say, thanks for all this great info about the 3 circuit carbs. All this time(my frickin hard headed blood line) had lead me to believe that there is nothing wrong with a 3 circuit carb, but my eye's are open now O:) O:) O:)

So, I guess my ULTIMATE question is, what to do? I am considering on changing to E-85 for a fuel along with my nitrous, and I would like some idea's on what carb to buy, why, and any pricing and part#'s that can steer me in the right direction.

I currently run an HP 8896 3 cir. 1150 dominator and the dyno runs showed that my engine ate up every bit of cfm at 7800 rpm's being 1223 cfm. Do you all think that a 1050 2 circuit, converted to run E85 would be a better choice then a 1150 since my engine only runs to about 7200 at the stripe?(don't forget the nitrous too!!!) I don't know what a 1050 will flow, but I know it can be increased but it would be great to know if I can still use my 1150 so I don't have to buy another new carb and go from there.
Thanks to all who reply.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject: Re: More E85 Q's...
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, an 8896 is a 1050, not an 1150? Not sure how NO2 would work with E85? Maybe shrinker has some info on that from the chemicals side. I think that jmark has fooled with an 1150 and E85 so maybe he has info on that carb.

Who's nitrous system are you running? Might be a good idea to check with them also as E85 will require quite a bit more fuel than what you use with race gas.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:06 pm 

What fuel are you currently using? Check out the MON rating for the fuel your using, I'll bet the E85 wont be enough for the Nitrous. Unless you have access to an E85 that uses high octane unleaded gasoline for the petrol component I wouldnt use it for a nitrous engine. The reason is Nitrous really cools the charge down a lot and when you cool E85 the gasoline and ethanol separate into individual fuels. That means they dont stay dissolved together so you get that regular unleaded gasoline molecule all by itself looking for a reason to go and detonate. If you have E85 made from racing high octane unleaded then you will have the octane needed for the nitrous, but are you game to run your engine on regular street unleaded because thats what they make E85 with.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 pm 

Rocket makes E-85 ......What do you think about this ??
http://www.rockettbrand.com/productspecs/specs.html

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:14 pm 

They dont tell you the type of gasoline. thats whats important. it must be racing gasoline mixed with ethanol. then if you have separation issues you have safety.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm 

Must be UNLEADED racing gas mixed with the ethanol. No metallic additives with ethanol.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:36 am 

Yeah I already made that point but here is one I was thinking about. Most unleaded racing gasolines have very bad cancer causing chemicals in them. Its really bad SH*t. I wonder if dissolving them with alcohol might make it more invasive to humans. Sort of like it hitches a ride on the alcohols. We readily absorb alcohols and I wouldnt want to have some of those gasoline chemicals tagging along too. I refuse to work on race cars with unleaded racing gas.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:57 am 

And here I figured that the leaded race gas was some bad $**t!!!!!!!

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:39 pm 

Do some searches on the chemicals used in unleaded and the concentrations used and you wont run unleaded. Leaded gas has some bad things but its in far less concentration because the TEL works. TEL does most of the octane 'work' so they dont need as much of the other junk. TEL is not bad to us directly as an air born gas molecule. The stuff in unleaded is in higher concentration and its absorbed by lungs and its proven to be the most carcinogenic compounds known to mankind. I have been through that and I dont want to go through it again.

Really for racing purposes there is no need to run unleaded fuels with high octanes. All gasolines have the same heating value (within cooee) and Ive managed to design engines to run very high compression pressures for the octane so if the industry got off its bum and was forced to change, racing would suffer no power loss.
Fuel injection has many variables that can improve the fuel delivery characteristics and benefit the racing engine and there are no rules that restrict to certain brands etc. Carburetor rules in USA commonly restrict to Holleys for example, Doing that stiffles development. Why would Holley spend any effort redeveloping carburetors to benefit from the characteristics of modern unleaded fuel when they have the market sown up? And the rules stop anyone else entering. Most people follow the lead of the top classes in whatever motorsport their in so all Holley have to do is rule the top classes. Eg prostocks Holley demon rule. To me prostock is an example of how to configure an engine so as to use a carby thats out of date.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:44 am 

When you reference TEL, is that Toluene?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:54 am 
Site Admin

J_6961 wrote:
When you reference TEL, is that Toluene?

Tetra Ethel Lead (sp) ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 pm 

Thanks

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:42 pm 

I've got a friend that is now using E85 with nitrous. As far as I know he's having no problems. If he had Mark and I would know about it as he'd tell us. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:31 pm 

Hi all, the point I made about nitrous is a problem that occurs when you keep increasing the amounts of nitrous. Small amounts wont matter, pump in lots and its a different game. I dont know how much people are going to use. I'm just pointing out that when separation occurs from low temperature conditions due to the mass of nitrous your going to need race fuel not street fuel to handle the conditions.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 pm 

Ken your right, it has been too long since I even looked at my list # on my 1150! :- if I read it right,( need a magnafying glass) it shows 10556 1 and I seemes I have misplaced my Holley book too! ](*,) it will show up when I am looking for somehting else, always happens this way...

So, Shrinker, once I obtain a tool, a really good fuel hydrometer type tool, would the best way to get the E85 blend I could use with my engine be to mix the alcohol and race gas myself??? Thanks also guys for all your reply's too. ;-)

I have also talked with Steve Johnson of Induction Solutions about this too, so I know what needs to be done with my nitrous side of things.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Last edited by Elkyman on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems