Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Alky To Gas Test?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Well, back early in 2010 I was running this same intake on the engine with those two "out of the box" 4150HP 750cfm carbs and the Camaro ran 5.51 on those during a test session @ Roxboro. I switched to methanol and spent the rest of the year trying to duplicate that .51 and never did running a best of 5.54 at the same track!

That being said, I do believe (from that data) that this dragster will be quicker and faster on GAS than it is on METHANOL, hence, the carb/fuel change.

I swapped the carbs out yesterday and will fire it on 100LL Av gas within the next day or two to set the idle and Pro Stage. So next time out we will be on C12 instead of methanol and looking for a 4.80 @ over 140 MPH. \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Alky To Gas Test?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:43 pm 

Gas is good, alcohol is for drinking =;

Braswell Carburetion

Check us out on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Braswell-Carburetion/320755068324

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

CarbGuy wrote:

I remember Rich360 making a similar comment a while back. One main advantage of methanol is that I made two of the three passes last weekend WITHOUT EVEN RUNNING THE WATER PUMP OR FAN! O:) I'll bet that I won't be able to do that on GAS! ;-) Which makes methanol the fuel of choice from around mid June until mid September. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:15 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
CarbGuy wrote:

I remember Rich360 making a similar comment a while back. One main advantage of methanol is that I made two of the three passes last weekend WITHOUT EVEN RUNNING THE WATER PUMP OR FAN! O:) I'll bet that I won't be able to do that on GAS! ;-) Which makes methanol the fuel of choice from around mid June until mid September. ;-)

Agreed, Methanol can be mucho better when you race where it's hot. But the flip side can be true trying to get enough heat in the engine if you're racing when it gets cool out.

It's all a give and take.

Braswell Carburetion

Check us out on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Braswell-Carburetion/320755068324

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Doug it was a bitch trying to get heat in that engine last Sunday. Running it with the water pump off was about the only way to do that and even then I had to idle it in the staging lanes with the leanout open to keep it warm.

My fuel system is pretty easy to swap over as I've got both gas and methanol carbs and the only thing I change on the engine is; 1. timing goes up or down 2* and 2. I usually put a new set of plugs in when I switch back to methanol due to the lead deposits on them after running C12. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 am 

I tested mine back at the first of the month with mechanical injected q-16 and methanol. The q-16 was one number quicker , but I had 4 cylinders a little rich on the q-16 I needed some smaller nozzles for the corner cylinders .

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:06 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Yeah Doug it was a bitch trying to get heat in that engine last Sunday. Running it with the water pump off was about the only way to do that and even then I had to idle it in the staging lanes with the leanout open to keep it warm.

My fuel system is pretty easy to swap over as I've got both gas and methanol carbs and the only thing I change on the engine is; 1. timing goes up or down 2* and 2. I usually put a new set of plugs in when I switch back to methanol due to the lead deposits on them after running C12. ;-)

I know what you mean, I can remember a race in Darlington where we let the cars basically just run the whole time. With lean out valves and what not you could get enough temp by the time you staged, and by the time you'd get off the track you were cooler again...

Braswell Carburetion

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems