Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 am 

would a magnafuel quickstar 275 be acceptable?
they say this pump is good up to 700+ hp.

BEST TIME TO DATE 9.99 1/4 MILE @132MPH.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:07 am 

I have used a BG280 without issue so I would think the MS 275 would be enough I just haven't had any experience with those pumps.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:08 pm 

IMO I would go with the 300 it's just a touch bigger and you can adjust it down to 15psi as it comes preadjusted at 25...

I have mine set at 15 but my cell is up front...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

What Barry said! If you buy something a little larger than what you need, you allow yourself room to grow, which is something we always do anyway as we're always looking for more. I'd go a good bit larger as you can lower the bypass pressure, take some of the load off the pump and still have more than you really need. This is truly a time when too much can be good! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:51 pm 

You need one of the options suggested and you need to install a flow and return fuel line system NOT a dead head like you currently have. You need a bypass type regulator. A 10 second car will respond to the fuel systems changes very positively.

The Holley ratings on pumps are at zero pressure, they flow 110 GPH with a free outlet port, thats not what they pump under load. It drops down to about 70% of that. Then it has to fight against the G's and it cant do it and it runs low level in the bowl and affects your performance tuning.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:10 pm 

shrinker wrote:
You need one of the options suggested and you need to install a flow and return fuel line system NOT a dead head like you currently have. You need a bypass type regulator. A 10 second car will respond to the fuel systems changes very positively.

The Holley ratings on pumps are at zero pressure, they flow 110 GPH with a free outlet port, thats not what they pump under load. It drops down to about 70% of that. Then it has to fight against the G's and it cant do it and it runs low level in the bowl and affects your performance tuning.

Shrinker, Tell me why a bypass regulator is better???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

The bypass regulator seems to be a better option on a rear mounted fuel cell as G forces will imped fuel flow and if you have the regulator up near the carburetor set at xx bypass pressure then there's less pressure drop during launch. If you're running a front mounted fuel cell I don't think it's that much of an advantage though as those fuel system parts are ahead of the carburetor and don't experience the kind of negative "Gs" that a rear mounted cell does.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 am 

Beretta wrote:

Because the g force upon the return line fuel is balances the g force on the supply line. Thus the rear mounted pump doesnt have to fight the g's. The pump must be large enough to maintain the return line full of fuel at all times.The sizing of the lines does not matter as its a pressure head thing. Sizing of the lines only affects friction in this case.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 am 

shrinker wrote:
Beretta wrote:

Because the g force upon the return line fuel is balances the g force on the supply line. Thus the rear mounted pump doesnt have to fight the g's. The pump must be large enough to maintain the return line full of fuel at all times.The sizing of the lines does not matter as its a pressure head thing. Sizing of the lines only affects friction in this case.[/quote(
(So i should use the 300 magnafuel with a bypass regulator and still use the return line that the pump has built in it? or use a aeromotive a1000 with a bypass reulator, now im confused.with the aeromotive pump you have to use a bypass regulator.)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:43 am 

To achieve g force balancing you have to have the bypass located at the front of the car and the pump at the rear. The feed and return lines are then at the same distance from the tank. You mount the pump rearward of the tank so its fed under acceleration. Just imagine the whole car as though its standing up on its rear bumper vertically up in the air. That's what the fuel system has to operate under when 1 g of acceleration is present. 2 g's is a car with double the length sticking up in the air. Pretty simple to see the problem isnt it.
You can reuse the bypass supplied with the pumps sometimes as the regulator up at the engine, it depends on the flow capacity of the supplied reg. But generally its better to use the stock bypass reg at the pump and set it to something like 20psi and then use a bypass regulator like a 2 or 4 port one up at the side of the carby and then run a return line back to the tank from there. Set the fuel pressure to 7.5 lbs at the front regulator. And then take it from there for tuning purposes.

If you have a large enough return line you can get away with just one regulator at the front of the car. The problem is when you have big pumps you need large return line to get the flow rate low enough that you can actually regulate the pressure. You will find that if you use too small a return line diameter without the pump located bypass you cant get the pressure low enough. The pressure with the regulators set to lowest needs to be capable of getting the pressure down to around 4.5lbs or some whereabouts otherwise the system cant regulate the pressure back up to 7 etc for racing. You need to have the regulators operating in a range that they are capable of restricting down the flow so the pressure gets maintained. If the return line is too restrictive you cant get the regulators to operate correctly.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:23 am 

Here is my plan:aeromotive a1000 pump mounted behind fuel cell #10 line from from fuel cell to pump then to regulator at carb,#6 from regulator to bowls on carb and #8 from regulator back to fuel cell.the a1000 is 600lbs an hour and 45psi at 13.5 volts,do you think this is good enough?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:25 am 

What about the design of an A2000 pump with the on pump regulator line back to the cell for equalization. Then a fuel line to a deadhead regulator at the front of the car, then from front regulator to carb. It would save you the trouble of running a line all the way back to the cell.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:30 am 

J_6961 wrote:
What about the design of an A2000 pump with the on pump regulator line back to the cell for equalization. Then a fuel line to a deadhead regulator at the front of the car, then from front regulator to carb. It would save you the trouble of running a line all the way back to the cell.

Read Shrinkers above post's, aeromotive told me about the same thing ,so im going with my plan as posted above.
Racing is exspensive,but dam is it fun...

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

JEFF69Z28 wrote:

And the faster you go, the more it costs and that's NOT a linear curve BTW! To be honest, I won more races going slow than I ever have running fast. ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:45 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
JEFF69Z28 wrote:

And the faster you go, the more it costs and that's NOT a linear curve BTW! To be honest, I won more races going slow than I ever have running fast. ;-)

Boy that's the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea but there's nothing like it when the TB releases... \:D/ \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems