Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:56 pm 

"Gasoline is the best fuel combustion wise for normally aspirated racing."

When it comes to bracket racing I think most that have experience with both fuels would chose methanol....or maybe im just biased??

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm 

When I say gasoline is best, I'm referring to it in the context of its resistance to additional effects from humidity, because that's the subject of this thread. It may well be that people are divided on opinion as to how predictable their car runs between the 2 types of fuels. But that's because they haven't got gasoline optimized. Because gasoline is impervious to water it cant be affected within the droplet like methanol is once methanol has absorbed some water. So the consistency of the reactions is more predictable.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:51 pm 

Update.jetted down 5 to .150. Engine gained temp on a pass. Like 5-10. It was really humid to start the night... Like 70%. the da started at 1500 and the bar was high at 30.02. Clicked of quicker et right out of the trailer. That's the only data I have as I had problems after the first time shot. So the temp rise could have been due to the bar and contributed to the quicker et. Humidity was ridiculous tho. I almost had a catastrophe, I assembled the mainbody back on the base and the carb must have shifted backward causing the 50cc pump arm to disconnect my quick disconnect fuel line. ](*,) an audible kaboom with flames everywhere then the high pitched whistling sound of the c02 line that melted was my Q to get the f out of the car. Happened right after the burnout. Atco people unclipped the hood in a hurry and put out the fire. Very little damage... Thanks to them. Good thing I wasn't crossing the finish line when this happened.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear of your problems but it's good to hear that there were track officials there that knew WTF they were doing! \:D/ Could have been a lot worse!

As for the performance gain, remember shrinker's 65% humidity rule? Your 70% was very near that so it may not have been as much of a problem as you might have thought. That barometer was pretty good so that's probably where it picked up.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:43 am 

Quick disconnects on a fuel supply line to an alcohol carb?

Pat I'll take fuel restrictions for 200 please.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:08 am 

I'm changing carbs often for testing these days, no quick disconnects on mine. Sounds like a good idea gone bad. Or maybe just a bad idea period.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:15 pm 

No fuel restriction. I love the the line... It's an old Earls. Only reason for the incident is operator error. Won't happen again, ever.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems