Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: T-slot restrictors
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:24 pm 

No I don't have a a TPS, been wanting to put one on there though.

So what would I be looking for if I did have the TPS data?

I may have to make one for it.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm 

fourtenposi wrote:
No I don't have a a TPS, been wanting to put one on there though.

So what would I be looking for if I did have the TPS data?

I may have to make one for it.

Just a matter of seeing where your butterflies actually are so you can see what tuning may be needed.

Braswell Carburetion

Check us out on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Braswell-Carburetion/320755068324

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:26 am 

I personally prefer to stay away from TSJ's for a couple reasons. First -- I can almost always get what I need/want by working with the IFR and IAB without a TSJ. Second -- the TSJ can have some nasty side effects like stalling on return to idle (ie during shut down) and hesitation on launch (like you describe).

A race only car would be the last carb I would use a TSJ on because the main benefit to using a TSJ are IMO at cruise. If you need a TSJ to get your car to run on the return road then I would believe that the IFR is way too big.

My personal preference would be to work the IFR and idle bleed to get the car launching good. The pump shot cannot cover for a badly tuned idle/transition circuit! Sometimes a smaller IFR combined with a smaller IAB can really help because it is sensitive enough for a good launch but does not overfuel the engine in that transition between 2 and 3,000 RPM.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 pm 

Eric, I know what your talking about with E85, I have a .078 TSJ in a 1050 and will need to go up probably to a .090 next. However on a gas carb this isn't the case. It needs to be there not just to control the fuel but to manage the air it bleeds back into the system. All three need to be balanced, IJ, IAB, and TSJ to get the best out of it.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 am 

Is there anyway removing the t-slot restrictions could cause a lean bog at launch?

Only thing that I changed between the last time out and this weekend was removing them. I have a lean bog now at launch. I went as far as to put the stock dominator cams and the smallest restrictions and had little change. I am going to pull it a part today and check everything over carefully and pull every bleed to make sure nothing is clogged. Also noticed to that the number 2 cylinder is running about 100 degrees cooler. Swapped egt sensors and it stayed on #2. Time to go through this thing with a fine tooth comb.

Good news, is I put old faithful back on(my 4150 demon carb) after I bought back and went 5 more rounds to win my first race of the year. Also all the egts were back in line so it points at something going on with my dominator. Reaction time wise, the car reacted the way it normally does when I compensate where the dominator I would be slow a couple lights, I would compensate and I would be way red. I was blaming myself but it appears that some of the blame can be put on the dominator.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:23 am 

Without them you would likely need to lower the IAB a bit to balance it back out. .005-.010 should make it close, but I would put the restrictors back in.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:31 am 

Well, I figured out the problem with the lean spot, when I drilled the hole for the bleed, I was a little to close to the check valve. The bleeds from blp are longer then the other bleeds that I was using and the check valve caught one of the threads and it was not allowing the valve to seal. ](*,) So it was basically just shooting the fuel back into the bowl. Not sure why it didn't happen before. So the plan is to put a little spacer/gasket under the bleed so it doesn't protrude into the pump body which should allow that valve to seat. I plan on sticking with the current pump cam and just sticking the restrictors back in.

Still have to figure out why all of sudden #2 cylinder got richer. Any ideas? It started in the middle of a race and its even with my other carb so I wouldn't think it was engine related.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:31 am 
Site Admin

If you're judging this by EGTs,.......DON'T! I had #6 do that for a while and thought it was something to do with that intake but I have an Omega hand held HH-11A and a spare probe taht I stuck in that cylinder and all was well. That's another reason I'm not going to mount this logger on the dragster quite yet as I do believe that over time those things go bonkers, for whatever reason and I'm going to flash the firmware in ALL those boxes before I ever use them again. If I didn't have so much money in this deal I'd spring for a Computech or Racepack system.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:43 am 

Well, it all of sudden started happening, i swapped the egts sensors in 2 and 4 and the colder cylinder stayed on number 2 cylinder. So its not the sensor or logger. I swapped carbs and now it is even. So something seems to be up with the carb.

I definitely agree, sometime the boxes do start to do weird stuff, reflashing them usually fixes the problem. I am with you, If I did it all over again, I would definitely go racepak.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems