Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: Carb Questions
 Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:53 pm 

Hi, I posted this on another board and recived no responce! Hoping to do better here!

After I make a choice on a wide band o2, I would like to consider building a new carb and/or reworking a used one.
I am currently using a 750 Speed Demon and would like to basically leave it alone, keeping my base line unmolested.
I do have a Older BG modified Holly of unknown quantity, I have yet to disassemble it, ID it...really know nothing about it other then it is a double pumper with a machined off choke housing.

I also have a Procomp 850 billet main body that I picked up rather cheaply, I have read and heard very little about these, would guess they are not that popular, probably of low quality...but it looks way cool! lol..I have been fascinated with the Billet carbs John Satterfield does at DamBest...but his stuff is way out of my price reach!

Currently, this application is a SBC powered S-10 pickup with a low rent 388 with a Vortech s-trim supercharger, making about 10 psi boost, There is a good chance the 388 might get switched out with a 421 at a later date. The Trans is a Turbo 350 with a trans brake,stalls right at 5000 RPM. 5.14 gears with 31 tall tires. Together we weigh in at 3360lbs, we race in Denver and usually see corrected altitude in the 6000-7000 ft range.
I am currently using a carb enclosure, but have wondered about going to a blow through. I find myself looking at and desiring a 1050 annular type of carb. but that desire is not based in any quality data or somebody else's successful model.
Hope some of the carb experts here will offer some advice on a direction to go, type of main body, boosters, metering blocks, base plates...etc etc!
Thank you!
Bill

Post subject: Re: Carb Questions
 Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 am 

I love mine \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ 850 main body, base plate and the blocks and bowls off the original 800.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:36 am 

Hi! Thanks for the great pictures! do you run this carb on a blown engine? if so, in a enclosure?
Thanks! Bill

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 am 

Nope NA. Blown you may have a different set up. Bill Lutz had a awesome carb set up when he had twin turbos in a blow through. If you want I can find out who made it. As far as the naim body on this I have run this for 3 years and no issues.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:59 am 

I sent Bill a message and this was his response.

Steve I have been out of that area for so long I don't really know all the current stuff. I would recommend he just call Roger at C&S and tell him what he is wanting to build and I'm sure he will get him set up properly.

http://www.candsspecialties.com/

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 am 

Hi! Thanks for the contact info! I will have to Give him a call!
One of the things I am looking to do is learn, Kinda why I wanted to take the process on my self!, talk and discuss options, theory etc, I have been reading some the stickies at the top of this section and have been trying to wrap my feeble mind around it all, But some of my thoughts have already undergone a major adjustment! One theory that I carried over from the small engine world and thought worked the same in most carbs is now waaaaay out the window! Other then Cleaning out my Demon and one jet change and swapping around a 650 and a Quadrajet about 30 years ago, I have no experience with Performance Automotive Carburation..
I do have that Procomp Billet main body, at least being Billet it cant be a bad casting! looks like the boosters in it could use a little casting flashing removal, Would have loved to have received some feed back on it! I also just picked up a QFT base plate, Looking at the QFT quick change aluminum float bowls.
I am soon going to post some questions about metering blocks and also a question I have about base plates in hopes of getting some guidance form some of the more cerebral members of these forums!

I probably would be better off, just purchasing something and moving on, but whats the fun of avoiding frustration and mistakes! lol

Thanks! Bill

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:09 am 

I've learned over the years what works for the wagon. Hit and miss. Started with a 750 vac secondaries. Went to a 1000 QFT had all kinds of issues. Come to find out from QFT it was the carb. Any who went to a Holley 800 DP. Did real good. My friend Allen upgraded it to what it is now. I do know he did some work on the main body to get it to flow on his stand to 850. I think it originally flowed at 830 something. I can't remember what he said. something like tumbled it?

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:22 pm 

Next step, jump right in the water's fine. Hey if QFT can use the Proforms they can't be all bad.

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:02 pm 

I had some issues with a QFT base plate being out of round. Not saying they are all like that but it put a bad taste in my mouth.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:57 pm 

Steve! Yup! I am sure I will be doing a lot of trial and error! But hoping to limit my mistakes! This will probably be a long drawn out process, I most likely will not actually change the carb out on my S-10 till I install a Wide band O2 sensor/recorder and at least base line my current combination. I am starting to lean towards the Altronics unit with its alert function and the ability to "turn something off" during lean out, The cost of this process will also play a part in how quickly this comes together!

Bruce! Thank you for the encouragement! ...I am under way with the purchase of the Procomp main body and the quick fuel base plate! Looking at the quick fuel float bowls with the quick change set up on it, Have also been looking and reading about all the different metering blocks out there...Kinda stupid...but I would really like some black ones! lol.....but I would also like ones that work properly and most likely are adjustable

Scott! after reading your post, I obsessed all night, worried that I just dropped a 100.00 on the base plate that was a piece of....LOL, but this morning I bolted the base plate and the main body together, there is enough clearance in the holes to allow proper alignment and it looks good!

Some where I read in one of the post that quick fuel was using Proform Main bodies, made me wonder about the base plates...is there any difference between the quick fuel and the Proform base plates? I also keep looking at the 1050 annular Proform main body, but I have yet to receive any feed back about the body itself, should I be looking at a carb this size? Annular vs Down leg in a boosted environment, in a enclosure etc etc!

Thanks! Bill

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:07 pm 

Bill don't over think the o2 alert deal. Your not racing at Pikes Peak. Just a short burst down the track. Not enough time to hurt anything.

That's a little case of over marketing.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:51 am 

Get the black plates from BLP. I have a used pair with the lowered idle holes that need a new home. I prefer the purple and silver grey ones myself.

I think some of the QFT baseplates have dual bolt patterns that accomidate the 4500 and 4150 bolt patterns. I'm not a big fan of the quick change fuel bowls. 1. you have to drain the fuel anyway, might as well take the bowl off. 2. the special jet tool is clunky and the jet falls off. Gotta take the bowl off now. 3. the tool is too long to clear the gooseneck and dizzy. I like the shiney bowls though. My wife says I'm easily distracted by bright shiney objects. :-$

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:34 am 

nomad wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the quick change fuel bowls. 1. you have to drain the fuel anyway, might as well take the bowl off. 2. the special jet tool is clunky and the jet falls off. Gotta take the bowl off now. 3. the tool is too long to clear the gooseneck and dizzy. I like the shiney bowls though. My wife says I'm easily distracted by bright shiney objects. :-$

LOL, That's funny. It takes getting used to changing the jets. That's for sure. ;-) I've had a couple come off but it saves stripping out the threads on the main body. O:) I've broken 3 of the screw drivers so far. #-o Don't force it on the jet it maybe catching the outer edge. :- [-(

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Admin

My 750 alky carbs have those quick change jet holes in the fuel bowls and I've found that they work pretty well on a sideways mounted carbs. As others have said though I do occasionally have one come loose and have to pull the bowl. Works about 90% of the time.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 am 

I don't have them on the back. Normally I can get away with just changing the front. ;-)

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems