Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 pm 

What I've seen with E85 is the #3 is about right for a Dominator. I'd use the #4 and not worry about the difference in size with the exit channel. If you think about a gas block a #2 taper is about .180 at the entrance to the exit channel, with the exit from .140's on a 4150 to .160 on our gas Dominators. Methanol's viscosity will send it turbulent similar to gas, so what are you worried about? Also, remember the conversation about drilling through the bottom, opening up the entire passage from the bottom leaving the top cup plug the stock diameter, and then plugging off the bottom? I'd be trying things out with junk blocks to see what works, even new blocks are only around $25 each. I'll bet if you called him, Mark Sullins might sell some of those $8 Pro Comp blocks he gets to you, tell him your messing with Methanol what should he care? If not, how about $34 a pair and free shipping?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROCOMP- ... ccessories

Once you find out what works, do a good set of castings the same.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Well I've about decided that I'm going to run a #2 drill (.221) down the mainwells and then use a #1 (.228) in the crosswells to exit into the .234 ID boosters. That way there is a little bit left in that will allow me to do the taper thingie in the mainwells if I decide to have a local tool grinder make me some drills with the exact taper I need. This way I'll be able to run a jet up around .220 and increase the flow from the .206 bottle neck that I have with the crosswells in the other Dominator now. Not exactly what I want but I've got to be realistic and go with what I can get in ready made cutters for now.

Next item will be an angle vise and angle table attachment so I can do compound angle machining on those cross wells with some degree of accuracy. Those two pieces are less than a "C" note on fleabay so I'll look into this after I get the dragster on the track.

So many toyz, so little time.........left! =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:22 am 

Download this guys , it explains what air bleeds and well diameters do

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/els/110002361255.pd ... 818866&cp=

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Got this error on three different browsers? :-k

Quote:
ELSC0501: Error is occurring in displaying full Text PDF file.
Because PDF file may be displayed normally, please act bellow.

1. Search again because of the case of the close of the session.
2. Change your browser's setting to accept Cookie because of the case that your browser doesn't accept Cookie.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:40 pm 

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110002361255

Click to download from there.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:49 pm 

Thanks for that Mark.
Its pretty good stuff, a simple test that shows what e-bleeds actually do and what the angle channel diameter actually does too. Its all summed up at the end clearly. Basically you dont need to get concerned about the angle channel diameter and getting all this flow up to the booster because when you drill it larger you just make the effect of the e-bleeds less.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:52 pm 

The problem is the relationship of the different flow areas to the main jet. The main jet for methanol is simply that large that the flow sections have to be much much larger in order for the main jet and emulsion to work as they do on a gasoline carby. A 1050 on methanol only needs a .175" jet to get AFR 5.5 if the restrictions after the jet didnt exist.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:26 pm 

I read that paper a while back. I got it from shrinker.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE:

Fired the engine today with this carb on. Well, tried to fire it anyway. Had to change a bunch of stuff to get it to run both at idle and on the T slots but it's finally come around after the 4th time on and off the engine and 4 gallons of methanol. T slots on this carb were about a 1/16" short of the throttle blade. Had to lengthen the slots quiet a bit to get the needed exposure. TSJ wound up at .114 for now.

One thing for sure though, I'll likely be able to get enough fuel through it now as I ran it up on the T brake while logging it and @ 4500RPM or so it was at .615 lambda with a .192 MJ and no acc pumps hooked up? ;-) Hard to believe that there's that much signal there with with those banjo holes being .234?? :-k

Will have to do some WFO testing down track next I guess. ;-)

EDIT: Corrected lambda reading

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Admin

More Info.

Finally wound up with the following:

IJ .070
TSJ .124
IAB .055
MAB .032
Eholes 3 @ .028 tried first with only one top hole open first.
MJ .192 to start

Idle fuel screws are at 2 turns open. Idle speed is about one turn on both. Engine idle and T slot works better than my old carb but not sure why? Don't think this tuneup will work in that one because the tuneup in that one wouldn't work in the new one?? :-k Oh, and the Holley metering blocks in the old carb are identical to these new ones, ie, divorced idle/T slot circuit!

Did some more tests while logging AFRs in the driveway on the transbrake. To test the transition I left the pump cams off. Started out by running up to 2k RPM and hold for 2 seconds. Then did the same at 3k, 4k and finally at 4800 just short of the two step. Transition got leaner as it went up and when the mains came in around 2800 or so it went WAY phat!

Started with a .192 MJ and it was showing low .6 lambda @ 4800. Dropped the jet back to .180 and AFRs were a little leaner but not by much?? Then dropped the MJ to .160 and managed to get AFRs up but only around .65 lambda?

Don't quite know how or why this is happening as the other carb NEVER would do this before I added that custom 3rd circuit up @ the boosters? Mark and I talked about this earlier this week and he doesn't have a clue either. Of course the real test will come when I get to actually go down the track with it but from what I'm seeing right now, I might be able to go as low as .140 on the MJ, which I really don't understand?

Of course none of this was above 5K RPM and things may change drastically from there to 7600.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems