Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:12 pm 

My father-in-law got a really good deal on a 1050 but it's obviously been fooled with a lot in the past. We're trying to get a baseline set up and then it'll go into storage for a little while until the engine is done. A good project for cold weather!

It appears to have the stock Holley boosters. Is there any difference in the sticky baseline tune for the stock boosters? Is there any real reason to jump in and change the stock boosters?

Thanks...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Not heard alot about changing boosters other than a couple of guys have changed them. Not aware that anything "special" has to be done because of that. There is a difference though between the old style Dominator boosters and the new annular boosters. Usually just a difference in jet size. I ran 92s square in my old style 8896 Dominator on gas with the old style boosters. I got no clue as to whether the annular booster is better than what I have because I haven't tried anything different.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:20 am 

What style boosters are in your Dom now?

If you have stock Holley annular boosters in there now I would leave them as they perform well.

The old straight legs units are not as efficent but I've used them and I have no complaints.

I've used billet boosters blanks in some of my new builds and they have good design features like shear steps to enhance booster signal and you can install more holes than stock 8-hole units.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 pm 

You can drastically affect the flow of the carburetor and the tuneup needed by changing the booster inserts. I have seen as much as 90 cfm difference on the flow bench with no other change besides the booster inserts.

If you stick with the stock Holley boosters at least you know where to start with your tuneup since there are a lot of known good tuneups out there for the 1050.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:00 pm 

Thanks for the info. We'll try the stock boosters first. Looks like this carb might eventually find it's way onto a 18 deg SBC! =D>

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:43 am 
Site Admin

Brktracer wrote:
Looks like this carb might eventually find it's way onto a 18 deg SBC! =D>

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! ;-) \:D/ \:D/ My old style 8896 gas 1050 Dominator is damn near as quick as my 1150 alky Dominator on my 18* 434 SBC.

Funny, I was going to suggest an 18* engine in that other thread. =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems