Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

I've run both race gas and methanol in the past but usually only run race gas in the spring and fall to get engine temps up. In the past, methanol has been cheap enough that it was way more cost effective to run that as opposed to race gas even when using over twice as much per pass. But lately, since my local supplier quit selling methanol, it's getting to a point where I may just run race gas all the time if the Renegade 110+ I plan to run soon will work in my engine.

The last drum of methanol I bought cost me just over $200 and that figures out to about $3.70 a gallon. Renegade 110+ is $8.25 a gallon in my 5 gallon jug so a drum "may" be cheaper than that but last twice as long. Ennywho, with the ill effects of methanol corrosion on the fuel system and also the sludge that's created in the oil pan, I might be better off just sticking with gas instead.

I guess the final decision will be made after I find out if my engine will be happy with that 110+ race gas instead of the C12 I've run in it in the past.

To be continued!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Just got a call from Kowalsky Racing letting me know that Renegade Methanol has gone up $20 a drum from last year?? That's $4 a gallon?? [-(

When you figure that I'll use an average of 2.3 times as much methanol than I would race gas that makes it higher than the 110+ race gas at $8.25 a gallon which has none of the negative effects of methanol's corrosion.

FYI, back around 1995/6 when I bought my first bulk purchase of methanol I got 4 drums from Alan Gatt up at Interstate Racing Fuels in Maryland for $360 shipped to my door! Those days are gone forever as they've finally killed the goose that lays the golden eggs!! :-

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Well, while shaking off the winter "rust" and only getting two "good" passes with the Renegade 110+ it looks like it's going to be a keeper. First pass with only 28* timing and 94 jets it ran 137.17. For the second pass I took 2 steps of jet out running 92s square but still with only 28* of timing and after two "oops" passes (driver training runs) it ran 137.5 on the fourth pass.

Reset the timing back up to 32* but they "said" they had a power problem and no lights down track so I never did get to see what it would have run with 32* timing in it. Guess that will have to happen next time out.

Also didn't get a chance to run that "new to me" 1150 gas carb I built recently but will get to it as soon as I get the fuel testing done.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Thought I'd update this thread by putting in a link to another where I explain what happened this week at the track. You can read that one here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9946

But I will tell you that my engine seems to be just as happy and as fast with this 110+ Renegade gas as it was with the much more expensive C12 I had run before.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Admin

One more thing. I just unloaded the car and checked the gas in the fuel cell and I used exactly 1 gallon in 4 passes last night! If that would have been methanol it would have been close to 3 gallons for the same number of passes.

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Since I sold the dragster back in April this will be a final update on this one.

Went to get some of that Renegade 110+ this spring from Kowalsky Racing Engines as I had put the gas system on the dragster, which was for sale and I wanted to keep my alky system for the other car.

Only way I could buy that 110+ this year was in a sealed 5 gallon can and the cost had gone up to $57?? O:) That's over $10 a gallon. :- I did buy that one can and the car sold before I used that one up so I'm done with all that expensive crap!!

That pump gas engine in that Studebaker is looking better all the time especially since premium gas is still less than $3 a gallon. \:D/

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems