Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin

PSweeney wrote:
Ken/ Tuner / Scott, you have an audience of 2 ! I think Barry and I get the concept but like Barry said, a guide as to what to measure, what to drill, what to tap and which points will need to be tailored or tested dependant on application would really help. I'd be happy to document and photograph the process for others ?

Actually, I think the audience is much larger.  But since you guys are asking all the right questions I have relagated myself to a position of reading and learning and keeping my mouth shut for the most part which doesn't happen very offen.  =;  Of course I'm on alky so I guess all this will work on mine, just different numbers.

Keep it going.  I'm not too lost yet!

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

As George would say, "DAYMN"!  Just got the 3 circuit blocks today.  NOW EVERYONE CAN SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THESE BLOCKS!  The tube inside the mainwell is part of the idle circuit and why the hell they made them like this is beyond me!  That mainwell is actually stepped down starting at where the pen is and is small like that all the way to the bottom where the jet screws in.  

The end of that idle tube is tapered down and has a small hole in the end of it that appears to be a metering orifice.  No way that sucker is going to flow enough to make any difference at WFO.  Yup, it's really clear now!  

FYI, the pictures really don't do it justice.  I took about 15 shots trying to get a really good one but anything closer than this, even in macro was blurred.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:59 pm 

Yep that's what it looks like!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:12 pm 

That's what mine look like too! What were they thinking?!

I've never figured out what the problem was, they were trying to fix with the 3rd circuit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 pm 

The only thing I have wondered about is if the 3rd circuit might help at the tug off trans brake release.
O2 logs don't show a lean spot so I'm just throwing that out there.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

It’s been mentioned that you can make a 3 circuit block into a 2 circuit by blocking the intermediate circuit.  How does that help down track, which is the main complaint that Phil has here?  I think he mentioned something about .90/.95 lambda?  Even with a .125 diameter jet?

Eliminating the 3rd circuit to make it better at part throttle will only aggravate the down track lean out cuz there isn't enough room in the mainwell to flow enough fuel even with the intermediate working.  

How do you know it's rich enough to go as fast as it can if you can't get it rich enough to slow it down?  This is the same problem I had with my alky Dominator.  Until I modified it I couldn't get it rich enough to slow it down.

And I'll back up on closing this thread.  Looks like we still need somewhere to discuss the s**t that doesn't work. ](*,)

Post subject: Re: Lambda to AFR ?
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm 

I keep reading this thread and the sticky, the more I read it the more it sinks in.
The QF billet 3 circuit blocks that I have use the same design (tube in the mainwell)
Now I'm remembering on the dyno we were jetting up lots and lots of numbers (we were up to #98)and it wasn't changing the a/f reading much.
Cheers Colin.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Colin not all the 3 circuit carbs seem to have that problem, ie, it's said that about 10% of them actually can be gotten rich enough to slow the car down. Unfortunately that leaves a bunch of others that won't.

I wasn't aware that Qfuel made a block with the idle tube/orifice in the mainwell but unless they made that mainwell a bunch bigger, I'm not surprised that you had problems getting fuel to it up top.

QuikFuel makes a 2 circuit billet block that is pretty reasonably priced and seems to work well on the two 1050s that I've converted. Several others on here used them as well with few problems that I know of. Jmarkaudio and Nomad live down in Florida where BoLaws products is located so they use his stuff since he's local.

So are ya looking to change that carb over or what? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:45 pm 

Ken,
I have already ordered a set of 2 circuit blocks to do the conversion. Scott Smith suggested I join here.
Once I get all the parts together I'm going to start a thread on my conversion.
That's why I keep reading these threads, the more often I read the more I understand.
I had my carb apart last night, looking and trying to understand, when I noticed the tubes in the mainwell.
But I know I still will have questions.
Cheers Colin.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:04 am 

Wow,
Kinda weird to see things you wrote 4 years ago. ;-)

It's been one heck of a ride!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:23 am 

Wasn't this locked???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Wasn't this locked???

No, this one wasn't but we did start a new thread from this one and it's referenced in the first post there I think. Colin probably got here from that link in the 2 circuit conversion thread.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Beretta wrote:
Wasn't this locked???

No, this one wasn't but we did start a new thread from this one and it's referenced in the first post there I think. Colin probably got here from that link in the 2 circuit conversion thread.

Correct.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems