Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: 2 circuit 1150 Dominator
 Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Just got some runs on a "new to me" 2 circuit 1150 Dominator tonight running 110+ race gas.

Started out a little on the phat side with 97 jets square so I leaned it down to 94s and it went 4.98 @ 140 on that pass. BTW this is as fast as the car has ever been on either methanol or gas and a single carb!!

Pulled another 2 steps out on the MJ and it slowed down running 139 and change so looks like it likes those 94s I had in it on the 3rd pass.

Next time out I'm going to try the 94s and also open up the MABs .002 to see if I can lean the top end a little bit since the fuel curve was basically flat line.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and the tuneup on this carb is about as funky as any I've ever seen?? Talked to Beretta and Slowpoke about it but it is what it is and it works well so I guess that's all that matters.

These metering blocks are the same 750 DP Holley blocks that I originally had on my old style 8896. I replaced those with a pair of QFT billet blocks so these Holley blocks were laying around doing nothing until this carb came available.

And this Dominator does have my "homemade" external throttle linkage too!

.046 IJ
.055 IAB
.073 TSJ
.025 MAB
NO PV
94 MJ square
About 1.5 turns out on the idle mix screws in the metering blocks.
Holley standard annular boosters and banjos I got from Barry with .169 holes and booster pins.
Cross wells are .159
This carb started out as a 9377 that was damaged in a NO2 fire.

Idle and part throttle AFRs are in the mid to upper 13s and down track they are mid to upper 12s. Opening up the MAB will probably put that fuel curve exactly where it needs to be.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like we may get to test this coming Friday night at Eastside Speedway where we've run all the previous tests this season. I'm going to take both gas Dominator carbs so I can do a back to back test in near the same weather to see which one works best.

The old style 8896 Dominator with it's straight boosters has been 5.00s @ 139.9 in a little worse air so there's not a lot of difference in the two.

I've found a cheaper source for methanol, ie, $150 a drum so this outing will likely be our last on that 110+ race gas for a while. Plan is to buy 2 drums of methanol which will last me the rest of this year and all of next year. By that time I'm likely going to be ready to get out of that car anyway since I'll be pushing 70 by then. If I can find a buyer for that car I'll get out of it before then!! O:)

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Took both my Dominator carbs to the track Friday night to do an A/B test and that confirmed that the 1150 Gas Dominator is quicker and faster than the 1050. Not by much mind you but there is a difference.

Will be back on methanol next time out though.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

One thing I didn't mention on this is that I wound up with 36* timing in this engine on that 1150 running 110+ gas?? Previously I never could run it much over 32* and it would slow down.

This may have been caused by the belt drive I installed last winter and the cam timing change, ie, from 106 to 110.

That gas carb also wound up with 93 jets square too last time out.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems