Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Ring package
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:18 pm 

I normally don't post the same question on multiple sites but, there are some here that I want to see this.

It's getting time to freshen my bullet. Normally, I would just change rings and bearings and call it a day. However, in addition to bearings I want to change the ring pack to reduce friction there.

Currently, it's a 1/16 moly coat top ring, 1/16 napier ductile second, and a "low" tension oil ring. The current oil ring required 18 lbs pull on the fish scale.

I'd like to get oil ring tension down to the 12 lbs range. For the record the current parts are Total Seal conventional rings.

I'd like to go to some sort of .043 package. Example, .043, .043, 3/16 or .043, 1/16 napier, 3/16. I'm not opposed to metric rings either. Maybe 1.5, 1.5, 3.0.

New pistons would be required of course, but compression will remain at 10.2 static.

I'm really only interested in reducing friction and extending cylinder wall life. I don't want to change my combination any further.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Ring package
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm 

you might want to check your cylinder wall finish with a profilometer, that drag is too high for a low tension ring pack, if you spec you wall finish to your machine shop you can get the standard mahle ring pack down to 13.5 drag - 4.125 bore

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:13 pm 

The thinner a top or 2nd ring is the lower the friction and the higher the price. Having a reduced radial thickness helps friction too. When they speak of low-tension they are normally talking about the oil ring expander. Different companies use different measurements too I guess, cause what some call low tension (ring lbs rating) others call std tension.

You'll have a hard time finding shelf pistons for .043" x .043" rings. Different companies have pistons with different ring packs on the shelf for different engines. For a flat-top piston, very few (maybe none) will have thin ring shelf pistons. SRP Professional pistons have 1.2mm/1.5mm napier/3.0mm rings as standard, but the rings that come with them are not low tension, but they may substitute them.

If you can spring for a custom piston I'd go with the .043" x .043"napier x 3.0mm low tension. If you have good oil control you may be able to go with an ultra low-tension oil ring. With a vacuum pump you should be able to use the ultra-low oil rings. You should have them do the vertical gas-ports also.

If you don't want to spring for custom pistons I would probably gas-port the ones you have and find the lowest tension oil you can find.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 am 

Bruce, I have that ring package that Rick listed and was told by my machinist that it will need a vacuum pump and they are also gas ported...Custom piston from Wisco and yes expensive and needed a special cyd wall finish...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:41 pm 

That ring package suggested by Ric is the way to go.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech