Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: EMC 2012
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:05 pm 

As some of you may know I'm in for another year with the same team - third year now. My job is to completely rework the induction system for MAX power this year in hopes of placing or winning (I really want to WIN!). Here is some progress so far, we have a dyno date in late June for testing.

Baseline Flow Testing with the manifold assembly.

Small Valve Heads
Parts starting to show up for final assembly.

New 2012 Heads with Standard Valve Sizes.

More to come.....

Post subject: Re: EMC 2012
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 pm 

Nick,
That is some nice looking work.
Hope I get to see it @ EMC
If I do it will because you are in the top 3... :~)
Good Luck,
Adger Smith (EMC TECH)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 pm 

You and me both Adger! We opted to be fairly open with our build this year for progress. I don't think the majority really understand what the builds take to get there. It's been an eye opener for myself and anyone else who has participated. :-k

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:29 am 

I agree with that!! Nobody knows!! Unless they have worn those EMC shoes what it is like to prep for it and be there. Sid, RJ and I are the only racers that are involved with the program. We are constantly working with the Management to improve things.
The big shake up for 2012 in the (New) rules had us all screaming. Finally Mr. Ed Zinke ( bless him!) saw the light and went back to a slightly modified version of the 2011 rules. I kept telling him that it was going to cost too much for everyone to build all those "big engines" by the new rules. It was also going to cut out a large number of engine guys that specalize in certain size & types of engines that "Could" enter. I think some magazine writers lost it when Jon's big engine shook the building. :~) I have had a great time working on EMC rules and Tech @ the EMC.
I hope we can keep working to make it better. The slightly modified rules for 2012 should help with data and make it easier to tune. My hat comes off to those that make the effort to compete. It was nice to meet all you guys there, even you, Randy... :~) I really think you guys did great. You guys were there and # 1 for a while. There were a lot of other guys that were at home watching & Bench Racing that could be there, but weren't. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in October.
Adger

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:41 am 

Well put Adger, I think everyone was thinking the same thing when the rules came out. I'm thankful for people like yourself to put it in perspective of the people that have to spend the money (it surely isn't cheap by any means) to get there and put on a show. I really enjoyed myself last year and am excited for the trip in October. Mr. Bob Walker of Hot Heads Research told me "if you don't have fun it ain't worth doing!" He also said he was having the time of his life in the next sentence...... =;

I stood outside for Jon's pulls and man what a sound!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 pm 

Made some more progress last night. Got some work done to the new 2012 heads. Roughed in the valve job and finished rough porting in one cylinders worth to start the R&D on. If things look good then its time to replicate and tweek from there. Our custom Ferrea valves showed up and I also have the spring kits for these heads as well.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:16 pm 

Gene Adams and Ron Pratt have been working away. Rotating assembly is all together. Also would like to thank Elaine Miller for helping out with buying us both sets of pistons this year. Each person in our group helps out in one way or another and is just as important to the next for their involvement for our team effort. Thanks Elaine!

All done on my end now! We now have two sets of heads to test which will answer alot of questions we all have for a design aspect when it comes to building these Engine Master's motors. I have two completely different setups to test which will show signs of what our motor really likes. These new heads are pretty killer flow wise so I'm excited to see what we learn. Stayed Tuned!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 pm 

Lookin good Nick. Hope you find some good info on the dyno. Keep us posted on the progress.

What difference were the heads? overall port size? MCSA location? Valve size? Throat size? Total length?

Rick

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:45 pm 

rick360 wrote:
Lookin good Nick. Hope you find some good info on the dyno. Keep us posted on the progress.

What difference were the heads? overall port size? MCSA location? Valve size? Throat size? Total length?

Rick

Difference is:
Small Valve Heads
1.650 Exhaust valve w/ slightly smaller port than typical
3.10 CSA at Intake Flange
Slightly higher airspeed

New 2012 Heads
1.800 Exhaust valve
3.27 CSA at Intake Flange
Larger window over SSR and bigger bowl
25cc larger intake port, 12cc larger Exhaust port
Flows 40 cfm more and pulls higher in the range

Otherwise similar port length, VJ, valve profile, same 2.200 intake valve size & throat %.
Should be fun in testing. ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm 

Nick.,

I've got a NOS hemi project waiting in the wings.
Did you happen to run a back flow test on the two different Ex setups?
I've often wondered if the backflow during overlap is critical on hemi's.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 am 

That is one thing I didn't do Adger, just ran out of time. There are a few "tricks" done if you look at the pics long enough to help slow the over scavaging common on Hemis. I also left a lip on the flange side to help matters as well. Learned alot with these heads since this is the first set of Hemi heads I've done from scratch. Excited to see what power we get between both sets of heads.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 pm 

Nick, I'm asking this because I just don't know any better. But, I'm curious.

The tubes in your intake ports. Do they have an adverse effect on the quality of the airflow through that point?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 am 

nomad wrote:
Nick, I'm asking this because I just don't know any better. But, I'm curious.

The tubes in your intake ports. Do they have an adverse effect on the quality of the airflow through that point?

I'm sure it does to an extent but the heads showed MAJOR gains by doing it this way. Luckily how our setup is the fuel if mostly atomized with the EFI setup. It will be interesting what we learn here in a few weeks. :-k

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:58 pm 

Bruce,
Some times tubes and bulges in the walls, like that, can have a waterfall effect on the air going past them. They can really help with fuel cling on the wall making for a better air fuel mix when it gets in the chamber. Wet flow is a very tricky thing to discern. The type of A/F mix you have up stream can even come into play. Testing, Testing, testing is the answer.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech