Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: gas porting pistons
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:22 pm 

Like the title states
I have a new never ran set of pistons from Wiseco
Im curious if they can be drilled for gas ports ,or if they needed to be designed for them from the get go
1.2mm(.047)-1.2mm(.047)-3mm ring package-low tension
looking for any gains i can find this time around
Thanks

Post subject: Re: gas porting pistons
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

I know of three ppl that did this on their last build and I'm one of them. Rick360 also did this as did gearhead1011.

I made a tool to do mine and think gearhead borrowed one. Don't remember how Ricks were done.

Mine, Ricks and Chucks were done in the upper side of the ring land, not from the top. From what I understand, the ones from the top are more susceptible to clogging up with carbon than the lateral ones.

Goodson Tools sells those fixtures so you can do them yourself. I'd also check with your local machinist to see what they would charge you before you buy the tools. I probably won't do any more of my own as It's a pretty time consuming process.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:09 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
I know of three ppl that did this on their last build and I'm one of them. Rick360 also did this as did gearhead1011.

I made a tool to do mine and think gearhead borrowed one. Don't remember how Ricks were done.

Mine, Ricks and Chucks were done in the upper side of the ring land, not from the top. From what I understand, the ones from the top are more susceptible to clogging up with carbon than the lateral ones.

Goodson Tools sells those fixtures so you can do them yourself. I'd also check with your local machinist to see what they would charge you before you buy the tools. I probably won't do any more of my own as It's a pretty time consuming process.

The pistons I did for a friend's engine I was building were done from the top using a small handheld fixture I made and a drill and drill press. They worked great and I believe there is a little power there. We (Randy & I) used the Goodson tool on the EMC pistons and I didn't like it very well and ended up modifying it to make a bigger groove in the ring land. EMC rules didn't allow vertical gas ports or we'd have done them like the other pistons I did.

Vertical ports are better IMO. I think they provide a better faster pressure path to the back side of the ring and they are easier to drill. There should be no problem drilling most any set of pistons.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm 

I used the Goodson tool to put lateral gas ports in the pistons on my old motor the last time I freshened it up. I let Ross (Pistons) put vertical ports in the pistons for the new engine I built this past winter. Tim (machine shop) says they do the gas ports before they finish the ring groove because the tolerance is so tight on the ring land. He strongly recommended letting the piston manufacturer do the gas ports. Here's a link to a post with pics on the lateral ports I did with the goodson tool I bought.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8030&start=30

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm 

Madcap Engines in Denver is doing my machine work
They send the pistons to Rebco in Kansas do the gas porting
For what Rebco told me today that they charge,its not worth it to do it myself and screw it up lol

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 am 

I don't think I would attempt the vertical ports because if a bit breaks it would be almost impossible to remove. When I did the lateral ports a broken bit was no problem to get out because 1/2 of the bit was exposed with the tool removed. I bought the Goodson tool because I felt I could use it again but the piston manufacturers charge about what the tool cost so it's a bit of a wash if your time is worth anything.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:48 am 

Having a pro do the gas-porting is definitely a better way to go unless you have lots of time on your hands (like Ken).

I don't think there is a problem breaking bits on vertical ports. You're drilling stright into aluminum so you'd really have to try to break one. With lateral ports it is binding the bit to force it to cut the roof of the port. An end-mill seems like it would be a better way to machine lateral ports than a drill bit.

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Admin

rick360 wrote:
An end-mill seems like it would be a better way to machine lateral ports than a drill bit.

Rick

That is what Kowalsky uses and he offered to let me use his setup when I did mine but I would have had to take the pistons off the rods to do them that way. I really didn't want to do that so I made the tool. Looking back though it probably would have been easier and much faster if I did take the rods off and done them on Kowalsky's machine.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech