Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm 

Beretta wrote:
I don't run alky but I have always put a wrench on those intake bolts but not to tighten them more just
to make sure there tight...

x2

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

ss436 wrote:
Have run alcohol for 10 years and never had any issues with intake gaskets.

Steve...

Yeah well, I've been running it since 1998 and I've always had problems with intake gaskets. some more frequently than others and this has been on 3 different engine combos. And I'm not the only one as you can do a search on this board and find where a few other guys have had problems with them as well.

Don't know if your "Oz" methanol or lube is different or maybe the type of gasket material used is different that prevented them from coming apart but I've had my share fail over the years. Maybe this new stuff that I got from Superformance will do the trick. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 am 

I believe you Ken just never seen it myself, do the gaskets become soaked with fuel and fall apart?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Admin

ss436 wrote:
I believe you Ken just never seen it myself, do the gaskets become soaked with fuel and fall apart?

Steve, in the majority of the failures I've seen the gaskets separate, ie, most seem to be made from three pieces of material that is glued together. From what Greg at Superformance told me, methanol attacks the glue that is used and causes them to come apart. The failures seem to be happening sooner in recent years though so I don't know if there has been a change in the way the material is made or not. :-k

This last one was sort of a puzzle though as the gasket was intact and hadn't moved around or sucked into the ports like they normally do?? One thing that is different on this sheetmetal manifold though is it's setup for an .030 gasket, not an .062 like the single carb intake.

I did some checking on the angles between the head and manifolds and the cast one was within .005 top to bottom, which over the almost 4 inches of the flange width is less than half of a degree?? The sheetmetal intake was less than half that but still showed where the gasket had compressed all the way across the face and didn't suck into the port. One would "assume" that a gasket would be able to compensate for that small of a difference in the angles, but I guess maybe not.

Hopefully this new material will solve that issue with the single carb intake that has plagued me for years and this sheetmetal intake will hopefully belong to someone else in the not too distant future. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 am 

Ken
Back several years ago, on several of my roundy cars on Methanol, we ran into this problem a few times. Some engines worked great, some were leakers or pullers. They would pull oil into the chambers thru the intake gaskets. I found a spray sealant that I would spray all over the gaskets, especially around all open ends. It was Methanol resistant and when dry would not let Methanol pull thru it. I will look back thru some notes and find what it was. We would spray the gasket all over but especially around all edges and let it get very tacky and then apply. This was the best way we found to seal the gasket. We actually didnt worry about the seal to the head or intake, we were sealing out methanol. This was the odd part, it would de-solve thru gasoline so couldnt use it on gasoline engines.
reed

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Admin

racear2865 wrote:
Ken
Back several years ago, on several of my roundy cars on Methanol, we ran into this problem a few times. Some engines worked great, some were leakers or pullers. They would pull oil into the chambers thru the intake gaskets. I found a spray sealant that I would spray all over the gaskets, especially around all open ends. It was Methanol resistant and when dry would not let Methanol pull thru it. I will look back thru some notes and find what it was. We would spray the gasket all over but especially around all edges and let it get very tacky and then apply. This was the best way we found to seal the gasket. We actually didnt worry about the seal to the head or intake, we were sealing out methanol. This was the odd part, it would de-solve thru gasoline so couldnt use it on gasoline engines.
reed

Thanks Reed, any info is much appreciated in case this new stuff doesn't work out.

Hopefully this sheetmetal intake will belong to someone else in the not too distant future. I think I'm about done with dual carbs on this engine. :-k

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech