Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Was working on carbs yesterday and had one of them off changing pump cams when I noticed oil up in the mainfold again?? Looks like the gaskets are moving again just like they did before? This might also explain why I keep seeing the primary side O2s going lean at idle too. DAYUMNIT! Looks like I may be going to a single carb sooner than I thought! [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 am 

You do seem to have a lot of intake issues...There has to be some better gaskets out there that's
better than what your using?? What are you using anyway for gaskets???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Admin

These came from BLP. The others have been Superformance brand.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:57 pm 

Ken,

Have you checked the angles on the intake and head mating surfaces? Only to truly check them is with the heads installed. What procedure did you check them with? I see intake gasket problems I see differences in angles almost every time.

Don

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Don I've setup both these intakes by putting equal thickness washers on the corners then going finger tight with bolts there. Then use a feeler gauge to find out where the flange is in relation to the head flange. I machined them on my Bridgeport and they "fit" fine afterwards without a gasket and there was no "rock" indicating that the angles were off? In fact, two years ago I ran this sheetmetal tunnel ram for almost an entire season with only RTV, NO GASKET AT ALL. Last fall I did machine an additional .030 off each flange though and installed an .030 gasket when I put the intake back on the engine in September.

Greg Travis with Superformance Products is aware that methanol will cause gasket material to separate. FYI most intake gaskets are made of 3 pieces and two different types of material. This is where the problem has been in the past as the glue that they use is NOT methanol proof. Another FYI for ya, I'm not the only one running methanol that has this problem as in the past I've found others that have had this happen also.

Having said all that, Greg had sent me some "special" material gaskets that were suppose to be "methanol tolerant" and I did install the single carb intake on the engine last year using those gaskets. Problem was that when I pulled the engine out of the Camaro in August and installed it in the dragster, I also went back to 2 carbs on this sheetmetal intake and of course those "test" gaskets got trashed early in the run.

So yearh, I hear what you're saying about the manifold fit but this isn't the only setup I've had this problem with. The 23* engine I have did the same thing only a little less frequently.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm 

Sounds like you need to call Greg and get some more of those gaskets to test longer and see if there better.......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Sounds like you need to call Greg and get some more of those gaskets to test longer and see if there better.......

I ordered them this afternoon and my new single carb scoop tray will be done tomorrow. Gaskets won't get here until Tuesday or Wednesday though. GAUWD how I hate pulling that thing down!! [-(

Also have some VHT tire treatment for those old slicks too so we'll be looking for some high 4.80s low 4.90s @ 142 some time this fall. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:58 pm 

hey,... had to ask. Figured you'd be on top of it. I have seen the same gasket problem as well. I usually have my guys check their intake bolts every 2 weeks or so to try and avoid it.

Don

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

And now I'm really confused? Just pulled that intake and the gasket is perfect?? WTF??

It's hard to believe that something major can be wrong with this engine when it's still running 4.90s @ 139 just like last fall only with DA well above 2,000 ft? :-k [-(

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

And on another note, that gasket is in perfect condition and did NOT stick to the head surface at all?? This is the first time I've had this happen in, oh...........................? Usually the gasket tears all to crap when the intake is pulled, but not this one?? :-k

And on another note, a couple of years back I ran this intake with NO gasket, just RTV and it lasted longer than this?? :-k

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:05 am 

just a silly question ken but the ends of the manifold are not touching the front or rear of the block
and keeping it up?

Steve...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:01 am 

I use weatherstrip adhesive around the ports and a bead of the gray silicone along the bottom of the gasket to keep the oil from weeping threw. That was a tip from Mark and worked out well as no more oil in the intake ports. Don't know if that will work for you with alcohol...
Ken is pretty slick Steve so I don't think the end rails are a issue.. ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Admin

ss436 wrote:
just a silly question ken but the ends of the manifold are not touching the front or rear of the block
and keeping it up?

Steve...

Yup, got more than an eight inch there that I fill with RTV. No leaks there, just at the gasket.

Dunno, there is a compressed imprint in the gasket all the way across the bottom on both sides so it shouldn't have leaked. Problem is though that it did. It's almost like the oil was sucked through the gasket? I know that sounds crazy but as far as I can tell, that's about the only way it could get in there. :-k

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm 

Beretta we know Ken is slick just checking he is not losing it. =;
I have always stuck my felpro intakes to head with slight amount of rtv nip manifold down,
remove manifold next day trim gaskets on head with scapel knife then fit manifold and tighten.
Have run alcohol for 10 years and never had any issues with intake gaskets.

Steve...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm 

I don't run alky but I have always put a wrench on those intake bolts but not to tighten them more just
to make sure there tight...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech