Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: BBC ring package
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:37 pm 

Racers,

what ring package do you like for my 496 BBC? Diamond pistons 1/16 x 1/16 x 3/16 with race gas. 14:1 compression with vacuum pump.

Thank You,

Larry

Post subject: Re: BBC ring package
 Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Rick and I both did an engine winter before last and after some research I believe he and I used the same ring package.

Total seal standard moly ductile top ring with a NAPIER second ring along with a LT 3 piece oil ring, which was listed @ 12-18#. I think Rick did go with a lighter tension oil ring than I did though.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:12 pm 

I did the same package last year, only with Hastings rings, with good results.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:13 pm 

I thought I would make an input here if you all do not mind. It has been quite a while since I have been on this site. At the present time, I am building 4 each 496 BBC. Each is slightly different and will be equipped with different rings. One will use a Speed Pro ring with a Napier 2nd. another will use a Total Seal Gold finish set with a Napier 2nd, Another will use a Total seal Gapless Top ring with Napier 2nd and the last will use the Total Seal with the Advantage ring set with a Napier 2nd (the reason being he has to use stock ring groove). I did not build one using the 2nd ring gapless as I have never seen HP gains from using the 2nd ring pack previous to this. I also feel that if you seal the 2nd ring too good, it will build pressure and unload the 1st ring. My experience, on my dyno, has seen ring flutter come in at a earlier RPM with this combo. I use quite low oil tension oil rings. I plateau brush each block and I use quick seater applied on all block. Cross hatch is 30 to 37*. I use Joe Gibbs oil on every fire up. When I fire up, I use a standard "dyno" carb and distributor. When I fire the engine, I immediately load the engine with 75 ft lb of load. This will quickly take the oil off the cylinder walls and let the rings seat. I run a leakage tester in the valve covers during the entire process. I also run a electric vacuum pump set at 9 inches. I will cut it off several times to see what my leakage is. Thus far with many engines, I have best leak down and better life from The Total Seal Gold finish. I tried the Diamond set, but saw no benefit for the additional cost. For the money, it is hard to beat the Speed Pro. The Prep is slightly different for the block.
racear

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:22 pm 

On my small blocks I always used the Total Seal gapless second with the Gold oil ring. I was pretty happy with that and the engines seemed happy, too.

I got away from them in my big blocks because frankly I bought my first big block from R&M. I didn't use them in my last big block because it used 5/64 rings, Total Seals were really expensive I that size, and quite frankly it was a re-fresh job anyway.

My current engine has the Total Seal ring package Ken described above. Not sure if I'm really unhappy with that or I'm just jonesing to run gapless again but my refresh job this winter will include Total Seal gapless tops, napier seconds, and a lower tension oil ring if I can get them (within reason of course).

Naturally, we'll have a little more squeeze and E85.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 am 

Larry
For the money, I would use the Gold Finish Total Seal. In my experience, the leak down stayed longer than with any other brand (SpeedPro, Hastings, etc). I tried the Total Seal Gapless top but it did not hold the ring seal as long as I thought it should. It started out great and went away quickly. Every one can develop their hone procedure so they can make any good ring work. this is just what I have come to like. I have found that if I run a vacuum pump at at no higher than 9 to 10 inches. Anything higher than 10 can start to starve the bottom of the piston and it will swell out and scuff in the bore as well as you may seize on the pin. Yes I did gain just a few more HP going higher, but not worth it unless you want to run oilers. I personally like to plateau the cyl walls so ring end gap stays longer. You can play with the hone angle to get your oil tension rings to a minimum, but dont get the tension so low that the top ring hydro-planes on the oil. My thoughts. Every one has an opinion on this and there are many ways to do this. This is just my way.
reed

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech