Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:59 pm 

I was fortunate to be one of the first few people in the country to get this new manifold from Edelbrock. It's 25% larger and has a revised plenum over the Super Victor #2925. This thing is kickass for any SBC guy wanting to make more power! There are some similarities to the Holley Strip Dominator but this one is a step above IMO.

Some Comparison Pics to the O.G. Super Victor.

Some hand blending I did, this manifold is going to a dyno test before I fully port the intake.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

One question I'd have is the 4150 base? jmarkaudio won the SBC Carb BLP Challenge with a 1050 Dominator and dyno testing they (him and Nomad) have done indicate that a Dominator "usually" makes more power even on an SBC than a 4150 base carb?

I've run a pump gas 355 POS engine with both a 750 HP and an old style 8896 and it ran as good in both street driving and on the race track as the 4150 base carb did? Of course the 4150 was "outta da box" tune whereas that Dominator was a 2 circuit conversion and had been on 4 different engines.

So question is, what's a 2" tall funnel adapter for a Dominator going to do to that intake? Unless they are going to make one with a 4500 flange??

Your mileage may vary!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm 

I hear there is talk about a 4500 coming out soon. The second one I have may become a conversion with a 1" thick open spacer welded on top. Not sure yet just depends on how the build snow balls.... I suppose class rules would also dictate what can be used.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Heh, ain't no rules in bracket racing! ;-)

How much head flow is this manifold going to require?

And will it fit on a Brodix Track 1 head or does it only fit Edelbrock stuff that's made for it? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 pm 

It matches a #1206 gasket out of the box so it would work on various heads. I'm running this one on those Iron RHS heads I ported. I planning to do some dyno testing to compare to a worked over Super Victor with it, just depends if we run out of time.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 pm 

I'm not opposed to a funnel space, that's what we used on the Carb Challenge SBC. I like the taller entry of the new manifold, it improves fuel distribution. I might open the top the carb sits on as much as you can and still seal the carb, do the same to the adaptor. At least with the older SV intakes, Curtis suggested that with a 400 or smaller engine the 4150 version is best, with a large engine the 4500 was better due to larger runners and larger plenum. I'm sure it depends on the heads and engine RPM range as well.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

When I hogged out my 18* Dart intake back a year or so ago I cut that one so much there was only about a quarter inch of material left of the original 4150 flange. I think I took something lime 3/4" outta that thing and it worked better after that than it ever did. Of course I did hog the runners out some as well but it was all good. I'll be putting that thing back on in the not too distant future.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech