Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Brodix Track1
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:06 pm 

Dont know much about these heads, would these be to big for a 355 SBC, 12:1 compression, solid roller 626 lift, 2850lb 1/8th mile drag car?

Post subject: Re: Brodix Track1
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Not likely. I've got a set of those on the 434 pump gas engine I have and it pretty much falls on it's face above 6800 RPM. Rick may be able to give you more info on this but I'd run'em on a "built" 355 SBC if I had'em.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:31 pm 

Well, I know I've run a set of AFR 235 on the same set up and never had a problem but that was in my dragster. This motor is in my old car that I sold a while back. I had a set of Renegade 210 heads with a victor jr intake, it would run dead on 7.15-7.20 all day. He put the Track 1 heads, Hurricane intake and changed to a crank trigger set up.
Last year first pass went 7.18 then every pass it went slower untill he ended up in the 7.50's This year he changed the intake back to the Victor JR. When changing the Intake he did notice his dist gear was wore so he changed it. I'm wondering if the cam isnt moving back and forth in the block, maybe the cam button not touching the front cover or the front cover flexing? Could the cam moving be changing the timing as he goes down track?
First pass this year he went 7.23 then 7.21, 7.33, 7.39 last pass was 7.43. I know something is going on with the car, just cant think of what. I've told him to check the fuel flow of the pump and make sure the timing isnt moving around on him. Last year he changed
Fuel pump & regulator,
Bought a new BTE converter,
New tires,

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Don't know about the rest of that stuff but those Track 1 heads are probably no better than the Renegades you had on before. Like 215s I think. They are OLD technology as I bought mine way back in 1991 or so and still have them on that pump gas 434 in a 3500lb door car.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm 

They aren't too big for a 355 unless it doesn't have enough converter. I think those were in the 210-215 cc range ootb. It would definitely make a lot more power with a smaller head properly ported.

If the converter stalls 5500 or so then the heads will be ok assuming a cam <=260ish on duration.

Something has to be changing in the engine or trans to be moving time that much. Was the weather (Density Alt) about the same?

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 pm 

JT did you work on this car cause that gould be the problem. You know that you guys that work at FORD and try to work on a chebby. Just sayen.. #-o I know the tranny has got to be good I know the guy that built it LOL

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 pm 

rick360 wrote:
They aren't too big for a 355 unless it doesn't have enough converter. I think those were in the 210-215 cc range ootb. It would definitely make a lot more power with a smaller head properly ported.

If the converter stalls 5500 or so then the heads will be ok assuming a cam <=260ish on duration.

Something has to be changing in the engine or trans to be moving time that much. Was the weather (Density Alt) about the same?

Rick

Rick wednesday at Osborn was the only time it's been out this year . Duration is 262 It's a foot brake car stalls 4500+. Terry Edwards had the tranny apart said everything looks good (so Kenny did good), he checked the cam timing on the motor it was good too. BTE built the converter last year with all the specs and nothing changed. Could it be running out of fuel down track but not popping?

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech