Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 am 

Well, I've been busy over the winter. Found a bunch of issues with my motor that needed to be addressed. I had an issue with water and oil getting into my chambers, and on top of that, there was an issue with detonation. My mains and rods were wiped out, but nothing else was damaged, thankfully! So, the engine came apart, cleaned out, made some more room for the rods on the pan rail, put in new bearings, and shortblock went back together. I also scored a deal on a set of pro-filer heads, older 385 CNC versions, complete with Jesel shaft system. Price was fantastic for what I got, and there wasn't that much time on the package. Over my old heads, I now have bigger intake valves, better flow, and nearly perfect geometry! So after just a bit of clean up work, they went on the motor. Funny thing is, they were already cut for receiver grooves, and they mated perfectly with my o-rings! What are the odds, huh? Anyway, did some more work to the intake as well, had to open it up for the shear plate that I bought. I'm also adding a 2" spacer, and needed to open it up as well, so a trip to my cousin's machine shop, 5 minutes on the computer writing a program for it, and 5 minutes in the CNC and it's done! I did the intake by hand, but it came out well. I ran Manton pushrods before, and called them again for new ones. They wanted to put their top of the line ones in my motor, but the price difference between those and ones that would get my buy until I could get the better ones was quite a bit. I ordered the cheaper ones, and a few hours later when I was at home working on the car, Manton called me back. They told me they were uncomfortable with putting anything other than the best pushrods money can buy in my motor, so they discounted the top of the line ones to less than the cheaper ones and sent me the good ones!!! How's that for customer service????? Anyway, motor is done, a few other things are done on the car that needed to be, and all I'm waiting for now is the new trans parts, which should be here tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait for the season to start!!!!

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Mark, that deal on the push rods probably has more to do with the crappy economy than anything else and they're probably hurting for business, like a lot of others in the "hobby" business!

But hey, a deal is a deal no matter how or why it's done! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:38 am 

Well, for whatever reason, I'll take it!! Really cool thing, is setting the lash, ALL of the adjuster screws were basically the same number of turns out from bottomed! I'll never run stud mount rockers again!!

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Coloradoracer wrote:
Well, for whatever reason, I'll take it!! Really cool thing, is setting the lash, ALL of the adjuster screws were basically the same number of turns out from bottomed! I'll never run stud mount rockers again!!

All it takes to get the best parts is MONEY, and lots of it! ;-)

Oh, and there's a set of .150 wall Manton's in my SBC. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech