Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:12 pm 

gainer-
You realize I'm not running RR ovals but 188 rectangles? I responded to you in the other post.

If you're running 781's you've got the right heads already. Now do me a favor and dump the Strip Dominator and install a Performer RPM. You'll see .1 at the 1/4 stripe (provided you can hook the additional torque). That you can take to the bank!!! Been there done that on my buddies Chevelle.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:24 pm 

40Coupe wrote:
gainer-
You realize I'm not running RR ovals but 188 rectangles? I responded to you in the other post.

If you're running 781's you've got the right heads already. Now do me a favor and dump the Strip Dominator and install a Performer RPM. You'll see .1 at the 1/4 stripe (provided you can hook the additional torque). That you can take to the bank!!! Been there done that on my buddies Chevelle.

Mitch...you will get there...I mean running in the 10's....like Coupe said just takes some fine tuning and parts matching....the performer RPM will have a bunch more bottom end with the 496....that is what it takes to get into the 10's....you'll get there just keep at it.... \:D/ \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:12 pm 

Ok 10-4 on that \:D/

Ok so what exactly is the part # for the performer rpm intake #-o #-o

I'm not brain dead yet I'll look it up.

Thanks for the tip ...................pretty cheap to do that =; =;

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:20 pm 

mgainer wrote:

Mitch

Mitch...here is the site.....the RPM runs up to like 6500-7000...but with a little work done on it will run to 7200.... \:D/

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... perf.shtml

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:48 am 

radicalz wrote:
mgainer wrote:

Mitch

Mitch...here is the site.....the RPM runs up to like 6500-7000...but with a little work done on it will run to 7200.... \:D/

Ok I went to the site but I also seen those Torker II Manifolds now those are single plane, The Performer is Dual Plane Which one would best fit my needs on my combination, in your or anyones oppinion?
They both go to 6,500 and I'm only spinning it at 6,250 through the traps.

Thanks

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:31 am 

if im not mistaken a daul plane is for low end torque

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:15 am 

Dual plane intakes are NOT just for low end torque. He crosses the stripe at ~6300. What most don't realize is the torque below converter flash is very important.

Here's the Jeg's p/n for an oval port: 350-7161

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:41 pm 

40Coupe wrote:
Dual plane intakes are NOT just for low end torque. He crosses the stripe at ~6300. What most don't realize is the torque below converter flash is very important.

What does it help to have torque below converter flash? Is throttle response on a footbrake car what you are referring to or something more?

Isn't 6300rpm low rpm? :-$

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:02 pm 

mgainer wrote:
radicalz wrote:
mgainer wrote:

Mitch

Ok I went to the site but I also seen those Torker II Manifolds now those are single plane, The Performer is Dual Plane Which one would best fit my needs on my combination, in your or anyones oppinion?
They both go to 6,500 and I'm only spinning it at 6,250 through the traps.

Thanks

Mitch

Mitch...yeah it is a dual plane...but it work realy well down at low rpm's....where alot of BBC's need it out of the hole....plan on having the intake ported to flow better....get the performer rpm one.... \:D/ \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:09 am 

Ok guys when I get some extra cash I'm going for the dual plane performer intake.................Thanks all................ \:D/ \:D/

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:11 pm 

Rick360 wrote:
40Coupe wrote:

What does it help to have torque below converter flash? Is throttle response on a footbrake car what you are referring to or something more?

Rick

Note: I'm making a BIG assumption that max effort has gone into chassis/suspension/shock tuning of the combo to take advantage of the additional 60 foot the dual plane will provide. If you take a combo that is already spinning the tires and install a dual plane disregard everything below. As we all know, naturally aspirated street/strip combos that ET well depend on 60 foot a LOT more than a lighter car.

Welp. Here goes. Torque below flash is especially important when launching a heavy footbrake car. Here's an example: my friend Bob leaves at about 1600 RPM or basically "off idle" in his 505 powered '72 Chevelle. So what his motor does between 1600 and ~4800 (flash) is especially important. The additional torque below flash allows the engine to spin up quicker/harder and more aggressively so that the additional torque below flash is hitting the converter harder and essentially upping the flash RPM upon launch. Bob's car loses big 60 foot with a Vic Jr.

I found this to be the same on my Coupe. I shift at 6500 and flash to 5000. (verified by Playback Tach). When I went from a single plane, Vic Jr. to a Performer RPM dual plane I picked up 60 foot AND .05 in the 1/8th in BOTH worse DA and a higher elevation.

As an example heavy street/strip cars do not react anything like a light strip only car which is braked and matted with a 5500 stall. That situation is a static condition where the engine is static stalling the converter and the engine is stabilized and not in the process of "spinning up" when it hits the converter upon launch.

Take my friend Bob's Chevelle and install a brake and leave "matted" at 4800 with the dual plane and the engine is not able to take advantage of the power below flash and "hit" the converter harder as the engine "spins up".

The real proof will be in the pudding when I slap the Performer RPM on and pick up 60 foot and ET on my BBC which flashes to 5500 and is shifted at 7000.

As far as what is "high RPM" and what ain't lets just say that anymore street/strip engines that spin over 7k are getting pretty rare. With the cubes of today ie: 4.25-4.50 strokes, most street/strip engines don't see 6500. Certainly a 496 like the above mentioned will never turn hard enough to see the true potential of a single plane.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 pm 

How do you know the intake (on either car) didn't make more power at stall and above too? Why do you think it is all from power below stall speed?

What did the mph do? What about the 60'-330' and 330'-660' split times?

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:37 am 

Rick360 wrote:
How do you know the intake (on either car) didn't make more power at stall and above too? Why do you think it is all from power below stall speed?

What did the mph do? What about the 60'-330' and 330'-660' split times?

Rick

Rick,
Forgot to mention. Expect to lose .5 to 1 MPH in the 1/4. That has been our experience with dual planes. Bob's car picks up ET and MPH in terms of incrementals on the back half with a single plane (as expected) but what you lose in the first 330 can't be made up on the back half in a naturally aspirated combo. Fact of the matter is single plane intakes do make more peak HP than a dual plane.

To answer your question. No I don't think the power gained from a dual plane is all below flash. There are some obvious benefits as improved "shift recovery" etc. Mostly though, our experience has been dramatically improved 60 foot and 330 times. Beyond that the single usually holds the advantage. But as I said before, the race is over by then.

Bob's 10.55 @ and incredibly low 123 is indicative of a dual plane. Not saying it's the best for bracket racing but he's been after the timeslip lately too.

I'll get a look at his logbook next time we race.

P.S. Got a message from Gary yesterday. Said something about wanting a piece of the Coupe. Man, either he's had it to the track and that thing is a turd or he's got some seriously low expectations. 8-[

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:07 am 

Another thing we have found is the dual plane swap responds well to a minimum of a 1" open spacer(likes more plenum) on our combos......kinda the best of both worlds.

Others I've spoken to say that dual planes are less susceptible to weather changes and less sensitive to jetting changes. (good for bracket racing) I can't back that up with personal testing though.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:47 am 

40Coupe wrote:
The additional torque below flash allows the engine to spin up quicker/harder and more aggressively so that the additional torque below flash is hitting the converter harder and essentially upping the flash RPM upon launch.

Garrett,
I don't completely agree with this.

The engine will rev quicker up to stall speed, but when it gets there if it isn't making more torque/power at that rpm, it won't flash the converter higher just because it was reving quicker before it got there. The engines acceleration itself doesn't have inertia, it has to have real power to rev the engine higher.

The longer runners of a dual plane will help tune the induction for a lower rpm. This should help torque/power at the stall speed if your stall is low enough, which will also increase stall speed. This will definitely help 60' times if traction is there.

What would have happened if the stall would have been increased with the single plane manifold? Is the real benefit of the dual plane from making your engine match a previuosly incorrect converter/gear combo?

Rick
PS: Gary is only doing what his brothers are telling him to do.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech