Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:53 pm 

Rick,
You make a good argument. Problem is, if you gear/converter accordingly to compensate for the reduced torque output of a single plane in a heavy street/strip combo like Bob's with a shift point of below 6500 you'd have to loosen up the converter to the point is wasn't efficient on top and probably over gear too so the damn thing would 60 foot. Then the stripe RPM would be beyond the usable power range of the engine. Everything is a compromise with a street/strip car.

Tell ya what. I'll see what I can do to talk Bob into another A-B-A swap on to a Vic Jr. I know how it's gonna go though. :-$ He'd like to see his Vic Jr. intake "be the intake" too but for now it's little better than a door stop.

So far as Gary is concerned, as long as he has those two dodo's coaching him that combo will NEVER fall out of a tree!! I've got several friends running 427 + cube SBC's in HEAVIER combos and they all run 10.0's to 10-teens, some better. I'd be seriously dissapointed if I just layed down over 10k to compete with a 10:1 383 equipped "street rod" that runs 11.20's. Of course this same "brain trust" thinks a 540 cube BBC equipped Camaro running 10.30's is something to write home about. :-k I guess my Coupe is the benchmark when it comes to street/strip small block performance in St. Joe. 8-[ O:)

For some reason I've had a target on my back for years when it comes to that group. :-k

Thanks for the info. I'll continue to ignore the calls and maybe the problem will go away. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:44 pm 

Quote:
Tell ya what. I'll see what I can do to talk Bob into another A-B-A swap on to a Vic Jr.

Trying the Vic Jr again with the same converter/gear should give the same results. Not sure what trying it again would do. Actual dyno info would sure be great on a deal like this, then you'd see where and how much power they each made.

Did you have full weather instruments during the tests of yours and his cars? Had the Vic Jr been ported at all or port matched? or the dual planes?

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:00 pm 

I'll ask what his weather data was/is for those tests. I can tell you this much, good DA, bad DA the Vic Jr. just plain would NOT 60 foot on his combo.

I found an immediate .033 in 60 foot on my own SBC combo. Ran probably 50-75 passes with the Vic Jr. with a best 60 foot of 1.545. Then swapped to the Performer RPM and went to 1.51- 1.52 consistantly.

Yes, both of his manifolds and both of mine had been port matched.

I know you're struggling here accepting our results. The dual plane manifolds of today are light years ahead of the stuff that was available when you were streeting your Nova.

My advice to anyone who runs a heavy street/strip N/A combo. Give the dual a try. It's one of the cheapest easiest swaps you'll make.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:15 am 

40Coupe wrote:
I'll ask what his weather data was/is for those tests. I can tell you this much, good DA, bad DA the Vic Jr. just plain would NOT 60 foot on his combo.

I found an immediate .033 in 60 foot on my own SBC combo. Ran probably 50-75 passes with the Vic Jr. with a best 60 foot of 1.545. Then swapped to the Performer RPM and went to 1.51- 1.52 consistantly.

Yes, both of his manifolds and both of mine had been port matched.

I know you're struggling here accepting our results. The dual plane manifolds of today are light years ahead of the stuff that was available when you were streeting your Nova.

My advice to anyone who runs a heavy street/strip N/A combo. Give the dual a try. It's one of the cheapest easiest swaps you'll make.

I don't need to verify his or your weather data, I was just asking if it was actually checked (baro, humidity, temp) with gauges/instruments? What feels like really good air isn't always.

Didn't your Vic Jr runs all come at US36 and your dual plane was at Ozark? How many runs did you get at Ozark before trying the dual-plane?

I'm not struggling with the idea of a dual plane being faster than a single plane. There are certainly combos that will work better with them. I just don't like to jump to conclusions. I've never run one of the Perf-rpm intakes so I was just trying to determine how accurate the tests were.

As far as a bbc using them, I could see them liking a dual-plane even more than a sbc if its made right and I haven't ever seen one to know about them.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:48 am 

Rick,
I didn't get any runs at Ozark with the Vic Jr.

My best at US36 was 7.157 @ 95.33 1.548 60 ft. 1000' DA, Vic Jr.

My best at Ozark is 7.101 @ 95.58 1.516 60 ft. ~1200 - 1500 DA, Dual plane

The track altitude here is 1500'.

Honestly, I really did want to get back to US36 to try the dual plane because I felt low 7.0's was possible there.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:50 am 

Guys,

I do not profess to be any where near as knowledgeable as you, but my mechanic (runs an 8 sec S-10) and my head guy both have told me that with a high HP(400-500HP) sbc for street/strip use, that the dual plane is by far the better way to go. In fact if my engine had been what it was supposed to be, they were going to swap my vic jr for an air gap.
They both said what 40 said, no bottom to it and no pull at 60', that it really does not come on until about 4000rpm, and if you shift at like 5800 your not getting the use out of the manifold, as it is designed for 3000-7000, and most never see 7000 in that combo.

Again, not my expertise, just what I have been told by two guys that DO know.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:20 am 

You said a mouthful chevy65.

The dual plane just plain makes more average power in the RPM range of a street/strip car. As has already been mentioned street/strip cars are a compromise at best because we are trying to accomplish two goals with them. #1 keep them streetable, #2. make them go as quick as possible at the strip while staying streetable. If either of my cars were single purpose drag cars they would be set up quite differently. But at 3300 lb and 3600 lb respectively, I've got to do what it takes to get these sleds moving. Precisely why I'm going to test a dual plane on my BBC powered Camaro the first chance I get. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:02 pm 

Bob's Chevelle went a new best this weekend.

Old Best
1.417-6.718 @ 100.11-8.84 @ 113.61-10.55 @ 123mph, 1700' DA

New Best (pulled out 2 jet sizes in rear)
1.415-6.687 @ 100.72-8.80 @ 114.21 2400' DA (1000' run only)

This dual plane equipped street/strip car goes almost 2 tons!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:28 pm 

~4800

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:15 pm 

Honesty I believe his combo to be pretty well matched. He might be able to go up 5* @ .050 but he's real close. With only 10:1 compression and almost 4000 lb it's gettin it on pretty good.

This is a real street car!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 pm 

Sounds like he's got that sled running pretty good. I figured about 680-700hp. Thats a lot of power for the street. Hooking up all that torque has to be hard to do.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:40 am 

Rick,
You're right on hooking but he's finally got it figured out. Ran the Iron Man 2 day classic over the weekend and 60 foots varied only .016 over the entire weekend.

It's usually between 1.41 and 1.42 on 30" x 10" radial slicks on 10" wheels, stock suspension with anti-roll bar.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech