Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Valve Springs.
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:23 pm 

We finished changing the Valve springs on Jake's truck this morning. He broke on a while back and the truck has been sitting. We did it with the motor in the truck. It was a pain but a lot easier than taking the motor out. ;-) Got it fired up and took it for a test drive to warm it up then it was play time. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEoYUyHRa9k

It also gave us a chance to play with the Go Pro camera. We ran the heads on the wagon (Sportsman II) so they have over 1000 runs and then the summer on the truck. The cam is near the coil bind are about .030 from it. So we ordered the same type springs from Bill Mitchell so we didn't have to do all the measuring. [-X

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject: Re: Valve Springs.
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm 

Pretty cool! I'd like to get one of those GoPro camera's in the Spring for my B-Day.

What did you use to compress the valve springs? I need to change the valve springs in my 79 Stang and I just got one of the stud mount valve spring compressors from Summit. I'll have to remove the Jesel shaft set-up and put a stud back on but I hope it works ok. The handle on it is kinda cheesey looking and the springs are a lil' over 200#'s on the seat and almost 600#'s open. Safety glasses will be a must!!.... ;-)

Tater

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 pm 

Mine are probably half as strong as yours. O:) I got the rent a tool from Autozone that clamps to the bottom of the spring and then you screw a forked piece down on the retainer. I couldn't use the lever one. Image

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 pm 

WR169 wrote:
Mine are probably half as strong as yours. O:) I got the rent a tool from Autozone that clamps to the bottom of the spring and then you screw a forked piece down on the retainer. I couldn't use the lever one. Image

10-4, just wondering what you went with. I agree with your above post though.....changing the valve springs is gonna be a PIA with the engine in the car. I can see the writing on the wall.

Tater

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:48 pm 

This made it real easy. It was tight next to the fire wall and brake booster. So I filed the notches on the cross bar that you turn so I can take it out. The I used an allen wrench in the tight area. I also used the hose from my compression Gage and removed the core. It hooked right up to my air hose. If I went over 35 psi the engine would turn over. O:) It worked good. I also have boot seals on all the valve stems so that helped keep the valves in place.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:58 pm 

Cool, I had thought about buying a leak down tester set-up but after a trip to the local Home Depot I came up with this set-up. I hope it'll work ok.

Tater

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech