Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: New best
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Is this a 10 bolt or 9" Phord? Pro gear? :-k

Donee and I were talking yesterday about how much your car weighs. Have you ever weighed it and if so, how much is it? I was guessing around 3200 but Donee says it's gutted pretty good. :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm 

I have my own set of scales, last time on it, it showed 3206 with me in it,

Its a 10bolt, I just found the motive makes a racing gear for that rearend, So I was going to give it one more try with those gears and see what happens and start saving to upgrade.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

The Studebaker with me in it is 3459lbs and 1860lbs of that is on the rear tires. The best that car ever ran N/A was a 6.48 eight mile that was a 10.0x @ 134 in the quarter at Rockingham at the 1999 Super Chevy race. That was with DOT MT slicks and the car in full street trim with a 434 cu. in. pump gas SBC on methanol.

So yeah, you're hauling butt all right. But we MUST go faster! ;-)

IMHO Motive makes good gears. I ran them in the Camaro and they survived a shift into reverse at the stripe that bent the drive shaft!! That gearset was still in that Camaro when I sold it.

I've got a Motive set in the dragster that I got used from Jerr Dog that he had run a few passes in his Camaro. They've only got 9 passes in my car but I expect them to do fine except for that Strange aluminum housing. I was going to change that thing out and put a nodular Moser in but a couple of guys on here talked me out of that move. If these gears do break prematurely then a nodular housing will go back in.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 pm 

I am going to start saving for a better rear and just fix the one I got with the motive gears.

I know part of the reason why they broke was because I was having some spinning problems initially. Finally figured out that the right front coil over had moved out of adjustment. The right front corner was sitting 1.5 inches lower then the left. One more thing to start checking on a regular basis.

Hopefully those motive gears will be a little more durable. Those richmond gears don't seem to fair well when I have any kind of traction issues. Thinking back every time I broke the gears. I had traction issues shortly before.

I think give me a year to tune on it, I will go pretty deep into the 5.90 range come next fall in crandal.

Also there is no hesitation in hitting that rev limiter on launch.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech