Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: SB2 Head Flow Numbers
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:21 am 

Could not find anything on out of the box flow numbers for SB2 heads.Have a set of ported SB2's 2559's was wondering what they flowed before porting.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:41 pm 

I doubt anyone would flow them OOTB unless you are talking about a set OOTB already cnc ported. They are designed to be fully cnc ported and they leave plenty of material to work with. I haven't seen one before porting, but I'd bet they are pretty small.

Here is a pic I found ... the opening is a little bigger than I expected, but still not very big.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:54 pm 

559's are not the SB2 casting to use, and most probably came as a raw casting unusable as delivered.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 am 

Already have the 559's they are ported with manifold,a beautiful job I might add.Was curious what kind of numbers will these heads flow when ported.I am going to use these heads on a motor going into a motorcycle.
While in the asking mood, have since read about how delicate these titanium valves are.Should never be touched by human hands or ground as in a valve job.How long will they last if they have been touched? Also if I decide to change the valves to stainless steel will the copper seats be okay?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

mdross1 wrote:
While in the asking mood, have since read about how delicate these titanium valves are.Should never be touched by human hands or ground as in a valve job.How long will they last if they have been touched? Also if I decide to change the valves to stainless steel will the copper seats be okay?

Don't ever remember hearing of seeing that before? O:) I can tell you that mine, that have been run for over 4 seasons now have been touched by human hands on more than one occasion? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 pm 

I've never heard that before either and I know mine were handled many times with bare hands and no problems. Same with titanium retainers, I've used many sets and never heard of that with them.

I have heard people say not to use brake-kleen to clean them off as the chemical in it will cause some kind of problem in the titanium and weaken them.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:13 pm 

I've never heard of that either and I have run used titanium valves for at least the last ten years with no issues. When I first read that post I thought maybe it was a joke. I just got a set of titanium valves with the heads I just bought and they have some type of shiny black coating on the edge of the head and the tip on the intake valves. I was told that is some type of hardness process/coating that is harder than anything else and you never grind that type of valve.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:48 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
I just got a set of titanium valves with the heads I just bought and they have some type of shiny black coating on the edge of the head and the tip on the intake valves. I was told that is some type of hardness process/coating that is harder than anything else and you never grind that type of valve.

That may be carbon, its a process marketed as carbon raptor coating. Its used on titanium valves because titanium is soft and the carbon makes a hard coating for wear resistance.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:31 pm 

Look up DLC, diamond like carbon.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 am 

Talked to Scott at M&M and he had heard of it,but kind of chuckled.All I needed was to hear this from you guys now it is behind me.
Still curious if any of you that run SB2's know the flow numbers these heads are capable of when ported? I plan to get these heads flowed just to know.Comparing these ports to the 23* AFR 210's very certain these heads will work much better.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 am 

The only thing you have to be careful on with Ti valves is you don't want to use chlorinated solvents on them, it reacts with the titanium.

As far as the head flow, the later SB2.2's go up to about 450 CFM without welding and moving stuff around, my RFD's are at 430. The old 559 castings I'm not sure but probably under 370, they were only a little better than the 18° heads at the time.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 am 

jmarkaudio wrote:
The only thing you have to be careful on with Ti valves is you don't want to use chlorinated solvents on them, it reacts with the titanium.

As far as the head flow, the later SB2.2's go up to about 450 CFM without welding and moving stuff around, my RFD's are at 430. The old 559 castings I'm not sure but probably under 370, they were only a little better than the 18° heads at the time.

Good to hear,this new motor with added cubes,a cam suited to the SB2,much better carb,and it's ability to rev like an electric motor is all I need to know.Should be a big improvement over this 23* head motor.If nothing else it will be a killer in the looks dept hanging out both sides of this motorcycle.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech