Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 pm 

I tried a set of Manley 221456 double springs for half a season and I was suprised how well they held up. After 46 passes with .900 lift at 8000 to 9000 rpm, I took them off and I could not measure any pressure loss at all! I'm now at 30 passes on a set of Comp 26956 and they are performing just as well as the Manleys. I was told that both springs are made by the same company (Associated I think). I dont know how these compare to PAC but they are ten times better than the old technology PSI 1248s. Anybody else try the new Comps or Manleys yet?

Denis

Last edited by axegrinder on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:26 pm 

I have the 221456 Manley's in my 540 and they were also in my other motor for 56 passes and were checked and lost less than 10lbs of pressure across the board so they went in the 540...Yes good spring for sure...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

I've got a set of Manley Nextek #221424 springs on my 18* SBC heads that have been run for 4 years now 2 a little below 8K RPM with zero problems. I freshened up the engine last winter and put the same springs back on when they checked as good as they did new! A guy I know put over 700 runs on a set of these and the STILL checked good then, but were replaced anyway.

FYI, I ran Comps PAC springs on my 23* engine and had to shim them .025 after the first season, then they needed shim again after the second so I replaced them every 2 years. That was a 942 spring if memory serves.

Unless something bad happens, I'll never own anything else but a Manley spring.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 pm 

I know the new double springs Im talking about have a different surface finish and color than the Nextek. Probably the latest surface treatment but I dont know if the material is the same or not. Either way I'm impressed. With very similar lift and cam profile, the PSI 1248s would lose control at high rpm after aprox 35 to 40 passes. The new doubles were like new at 46 passes and were being pushed to higher rpm.

I did run one set of Nextek tripples years back and they were definently good. By what your saying Ken, I shoulda ran them twice as long as I did! lol I only changed them when I did to be safe.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Axe the local guy I have do my machine work was the one that put me on these springs as at the time he was building some KILLER 18* SBC engines, ie, 932HP @ 9200 NA on gas. He still does some 18* stuff but has moved to SB2.2 heads in the last couple of years and is making well over 1,000 HP on those NA on gas. You might want to call him and see what he is using now on those SB2 heads and you can tell him that "PeeWee" gave you the number. Kowalsky Machine, LTD, Don Kowalsky @ 434-821-6107 or 6109 8am to 5pm Eastern Daylight time. He "may" give you info on the springs or he may not but it will only cost you a phone call to find out.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Axe the local guy I have do my machine work was the one that put me on these springs as at the time he was building some KILLER 18* SBC engines, ie, 932HP @ 9200 NA on gas. He still does some 18* stuff but has moved to SB2.2 heads in the last couple of years and is making well over 1,000 HP on those NA on gas. You might want to call him and see what he is using now on those SB2 heads and you can tell him that "PeeWee" gave you the number. Kowalsky Machine, LTD, Don Kowalsky @ 434-821-1807 or 1809 8am to 5pm Eastern Daylight time. He "may" give you info on the springs or he may not but it will only cost you a phone call to find out.

Thanks Ken. Don sounds like the kind of guy that would be great to have as a member here! =; If he's half as busy as me I would hate to call him and bug. I still might though! lol

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Axe he doesn't type and isn't as computer savvy as most so he usually only reads and post nothing. He has an account here but due to his limited time available he mostly reads over on ST.

You probably stand a better chance of getting him to talk if you call around 5pm Eastern time as that's when the shop shuts down. He's usually there after that though tinkering with stuff like the rest of us.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm 

Half the battle with spring life is making sure that harmonics don't come into play. Darin Morgan spoke of putting springs on a engine that were more than sufficient for the engine and RPM range, yet would kill springs, valves, etc... Different wire or slightly different pressure specs and the issue was gone. As long as you have a brand that works I would stick with it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Hey axe, note that I changed the phone number for Kowalsky. Had a brain fart I guess, that and I do suffer from CRS! =;

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:47 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Hey axe, note that I changed the phone number for Kowalsky. Had a brain fart I guess, that and I do suffer from CRS! =;

Ok thanks Ken. I also suffer from CRS and even worse, CSS (Cant Spell Shtuff)! =;

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

axegrinder wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:

Ok thanks Ken. I also suffer from CRS and even worse, CSS (Cant Spell Shtuff)! =;

CSS can be fixed if you would use Firefox Browser as it's got a spell check built into it and it will underline words you spell wrong. Right click on that word and it will offer you several versions of what it thinks you want to say. Free download at mozilla.org

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech